Best Wine Purchase in the last five years!

Probably covered but have not seen a recent post on it. I had bought these two from J J Buckley for the going rate but a whole in the wall shop in Minneapolis had these for $7 a bottle. Probably a distributor change so a fire sale. I remember asking the clueless employee did they have any more and they said yes. I asked how much and they said a few cases which I replied I will take all and eight cases later the rest is history. The funny thing is I found out someone bought 2 cases the day before. Why would you not but out all of it is beyond me.

2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)
2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

Wow!

Great score, John!

That is insane. I would have bought all, too!

Scholium pickup party, 2016. Left with 2 cases, should’ve taken 5.

Now that’s a deal!!

Because you didn’t want 10 cases of it, perhaps?

Ah Johnny, for a guy who’s spent so much time in the world of finance, you should know.

It’s because it’s a deal!

Like buying dog food when you don’t have a dog. Don’t you do that?

A deal’s a deal.

Of course in this case, if you didn’t want 10 cases, you could have flipped a few of them very easily. I’d have done it pick-up only so to minimize my inconvenience.

Or they’d be great gifts.

Remember, he’s not in NYC - he is in a state that’s brutally cold and probably has a home with a basement where he can store these babies with minimal effort.

I certainly do NOT want to drink the same wine for weeks, months, years … deal or not deal …
(and I much prefer dry Rieslings to off-dry ones …)

Moreover I almost never “deal” with my wines … if it´s going to be business the FUN is over …

It could have been someone that didn’t have a spare $700(ish) dollars in their bank account. I agree…I’d be buying everything they had…but I don’t know what I’d do with 8 cases of a wine…even at $7.

It could well be that (s)he didn’t have the money for more, or the room to store more.

Me? I would have left it all for you guys. Not even a little bit interested. Well, maybe I’d have bought a bottle or three on the off chance someone on this thread ended up at my house for dinner. [cheers.gif]

I don’t CARE if it’s a great deal or not. How many times do I want to drink the SAME wine, surely not 96 times!

^^^^^

Well it’s not the same wine, it’s two different wines. I’d have taken a lot of it, maybe all of it, even though I prefer kabinett and feinherb to Spatlese. I’d imagine those will last for decades, so you start thinking 48 of each, you’re looking at maybe 1 to 2 bottles a year of each wine. And if you happen to have a couple of cases left in 20 years I suspect they’d go for a nice premium.

It’s hard to say what any of us would have done but I think I would bought them all.

It isn’t hard for me.

Riesling … however …

It´s been slightly more than 5 years, but the best purchase was when I got 30+ bottles of aged Burgundy from a French (very humid) cellar: many (most) labels were ruined, sometimes the vintage not readable, but most of the times I could decipher the Appellation and producer … .icheb…g - aint-Viva… - …berti. - .los Vo…eot etc. and many 1er crus … vintages from late 40ies to early 70ies …
excellent fills … and every bottle already tasted was superb …
I paid less than 50 € per …
flirtysmile

I drink Riesling with blistering hot vindaloo and other such curries. I’d have no objection to having multiple cases of the same cheap but good wine for that purpose.

If I could do it all over again, and buy 196 bottles of the 1998 Muller Catoir Scheurebe Spatlese, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I’m not even sure that winning the actual lottery would make me happier