A boring 2015 Gonon and a very good 2015 Gonon

I’ve had it several times before, including one with a little age on it, but the Gonon Chasselas has just bored me. The 2015 is no different. A very muted nose, not just on pop and pour, but also on the second chance next night. A waxy palate presence with melons, but ultimately has a sensation of a watered-down wine. A total pass at the price. (82 pts.)

And in contrast, the 2015 Gonon Les Iles Feray is perhaps the best showing I have had in the years that I have been buying this entry-point Syrah by the case. This basic bottling drinks as well as the St. Joseph in good vintages. Charcoal and flint on the nose with wild dark fruits and black olives. Meaty on the palate, chewy, and an array of dark fruits, dried meats, herbs and tapenade. An ager. Just a stupid value at $25. Will be fun to follow over the years. Right now it is very young. (91-92 pts.)

Based on that Iles Feray, the 2015 St. Joe must be killer. I have one in the queue.

At least you can still find these. And what’s twenty-bucks for you? This wine is supposed to be gulpable gloop, really nothing more profundo.

It’s a waste of $20. There is much better cheap, white wine out there.

As far as the Feray, I finally came to the conclusion that I prefer it to the St. Joseph.

Yea, it was indeed a waste of $25 as neither my wife nor I finished the bottle. I paid $20 or so for a Falkenstein Kab that I popped last night and that blew us away. The Iles Feray is wonderful for what it is, but does not have the depth and complexity of the St Joe. It’s like comparing the one-series to the m3. Very happy to have them both, for different reasons.

I just bought a bottle of the chasselas because I was, like, “Gonon. Chasselas. !!” Now I am sad.

In most years I reckon Gonon’s St.Joseph is well ahead of the Feray. In '15, the Feray is every bit as good as the St.Joseph. It’s not that the St.Joseph is bad, its that the Les Iles Feray absolutely over-delivers in '15.

Lowest WSPro price on the Feray is $42. Still a good value at that price?

While I wrote more positively on the Chasselas a while ago I cannot really disagree with OP. Nevertheless I was happy to try the wine once and especially as it was shared with friends while drinking other a lot better wines it is all good. Also a solid food-pairing did elevate the wine somewhat.

I’m amazed you can buy Les Iles Feray for $25 in the US, I paid 22€ at a shop in France that generally has great prices. All the praise here has definitely got me excited about the wine.

Not really.

I don’t know what a one-series or an m3 is, but I have never been blown away (not even close) by the Gonon St. Joseph. The VV is another matter.

Agreed. I’m out if I ever get an offer nearing that price.

I sorta agree with this statement, too. Gonon is an excellent Northern Rhone syrah, and first release prices are very reasonable for this quality (sub-$40), but I’m not sure any particular bottling has ever “blown [me] away” as in like 94-95+ or more on a rating. The VV, now that is another level.

The 1 and 3 was a BMW analogy.

Ah. I am not a car guy.

The recent Gonon activity on Winebid has been pretty crazy. Seeing the 2007 hammer for around $150 was pretty jaw-dropping (looks like there’s some 2007 at Rare Wine Co. for a similar price).

Thanks for the note of the 2015s, should be a fun vintage.

Well, it’s not like You need more wine. Less competition for the rest of us, but the St. Joe does stand above the Feray.

Clearly! Even I got that, and I don’t own a car. neener

You don’t own a “real” bike either

:wink:

True. But I know the difference between old steel clunkers like mine and carbon fiber jobs like yours. Fancy bikes are lime green.

Robert, where/how do you purchase this retail for $25? That is less than the wholesale price here in the west, even getting importer direct pricing (i.e., no distributor tier).

That’s why it’s such a stupid value!