Gonon prices are crazy...

Anyone look at winebid.com recently? $170/bottle + BC (17%)…Looks like me have an answer for the next winery to blow up…

Reflects availability sadly.

Only a few years ago, this was 20GBP in the UK. Glad I stocked up.

Probably still just about worth it at 170 USD relative to a lot of northern Rhône stuff at that price point. But I guess one has to get over the idea of Saint Joseph being an inexpensive, weekday wine.

I prefer not to look now that Fu and Alfert cornered the market [wink.gif]

My 2 mags of 2011 are available. Make an offer!

To be clear it’s for a 99. It’s not current release pricing.

Fu, get our guy on this STAT, we split a case to shore up that 25 year vertical.

That makes a little more sense - I just picked up another bottle of '15 Gonon last weekend at the same $70 price point as I paid for the last batch. A price that I don’t see as entirely unreasonable given that it’s the same neighborhood as the Chave domaine bottling.

K&L was selling the '99 for $31.50 in 2011.

Chave vs Gonon: thoughts

That’s pretty nuts.

You should buy Gonon and leave the Chave for me. [wink.gif]

You’re welcome to it.

Not a fan of Chave St. Joseph?

as a closer comparison, the 2007 went for $145 and the 2010 went for $120 on winebid these past few weeks.

Chambers was selling the 11 for $35 in 2013.

Yea… I’d be pretty surprised if the 99 was regularly found for $31 in 2011.

You seem to be a man of means. Buy both.

If you are talking about the Chave St Joe, I would take Gonon over it all day long. I actually had a few weeks ago all three, the 12 Chave Hermitage, 12 Chave St Joe and 12 Gonon. The Hermitage was a big step above, and the Gonon above the Chave St Joe. I’ve never found the Chave St Joe truly worth the mark-up. If you want a bargain Chave, the Mon Couer is a killer QPR in most years. Had the 2014 last week. Awesome weekday wine at $20. I used to get the Gonon Iles Feray for sub-$20, which was another killer QPR. Just paid $26 for the 2015 per bottle case price. Still solid but sliding up. The Clape Vin des Amis is in the same camp.

Even at current release pricing, I no longer think this wine is worth the money. Those prices on back vintages are insane.