Gonon prices are crazy...

Yep, insane pricing, imho . Although, I’ll wait for my 2005s to 2012s to get to $170 per before I put them all up at winebid.

Oops. That was the 2009 in 2011. Never mind!

My how the decades fly by… blush

Don’t think it’s worth $50 a bottle?

at $50 yes, but that certainly didn’t seem to be the norm this year.

This is just a thread of misinformation [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Agree. I also wonder what’s behind the Gonon price increases? I don’t know how many points Gonon gets from the critics, but is a St. Joseph the type of wine that is chased by point chasers? Surely being a darling of the Internet wine boards is part of the price escalation, following predecessors like Flowers Pinot Noir back in the 1990s, or Pegau Chateauneuf in the 2000s. But even those board darlings experienced corrections back to normal pricing. And another interesting point is that one doesn’t see much, if any, Gonon at wine auctions. This suggests that it is coveted and kept, and presumably enjoyed, by its buyers, rather than speculation or investment. Perhaps we can attribute Gonon pricing to simple supply and demand. Gonon is relatively scarce and (I think) is only imported by a few, who have the power to raise prices, especially when demand is strong and annual. I’ve been a witness to about ten to twelve vintages of Gonon hitting the US market, and I am fascinated by the price increases and I can’t help but wonder if this is a new norm or whether Gonon will experience a correction. I’m not betting on the latter.

I don’t think points come into play that much in the N. Rhone, or in Burgundy for that matter. I also think that most of the increase in Gonon prices is driven in the secondary market. My cost out the door for the '15 was only about $8 or $9 higher than for the '09, IIRC.

The current release price is about the same at Cayuse…I’m surprised to see you like this less than Cayuse.

Michael has it right. My price on the 2015 is only $8 higher than 2009, my 06-08s were backfills, so different pricing. My tolerance on pricing would probably go up to $75, after that, things may change. I paid way less than $75.

I have no idea what any of the critics have ever rated a Gonon, or frankly, any of the Northern Rhones that I regularly buy. Their views are irrelevant to me here. Even the vintages and attendant variations create interest.

The price escalation is mostly secondary market pricing being elevated by the buzz, buy the fact that most people who buy it never flip it, and the quantity imported is limited.

Back to pricing, at $75, I’d go Benetiere all day long.

The real question is how much the VV sells for these days…if you can fid any.

The VV is unicorn! I was promised a mere single bottle of the 2010. No discussion of pricing. Or, even when it comes. I feel like the guy standing in the Soup Nazi line.

The cheapest I see any Gonon Feray for is $42.

And abandon your $55 Levet’s? [wow.gif]

#neverever

Scandalous talk!

We’re making the jump to Cote Rotie? :slight_smile:

Just picked up a few 2013 Benetiere Cordeloux to backfill, given pricing jumps on a lot of 2015’s…

Right, $50 is about my maximum comfort level, and really I think it’s more like a solid $35-$40 bottle, which is what it went for so recently. At $65-$70, I’m definitely out.

They’re such different wines, but yes, I do.

Why not? Cheaper than Gonon! And it’s kind of like a “two-fer” offer if the producer adds some viognier to the mix. pepsi

That pricing is insane. I saw them Sunday night they were listed at $20… I expected them to finish in the low $100s, but know I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish over $200!

I am more comfortable opening Truchot than I am the VV.