TN: 2015 Ridge Geyserville (USA, California, Sonoma County)

2015 Ridge Geyserville - USA, California, Sonoma County (9/9/2017)
Would up a bit tight (especially compared to a 2011 Lytton Springs served immediately prior), but this has tons of stuffing go the distance. It’s an interesting blend with more Carignan than usual. Should be fascinating to follow, seeing how it unfolds and develops over time. Early days here.

Posted from CellarTracker

David, thanks for the early peek of this. How was the oak impression at this stage. Its my only concern with many of the Ridge wines but I admit to being overly sensitive to American oak.

Tom

I did not find the oak to be overwhelming at all, but I like Ridge the way it is.

I find Ridge has been leaning more heavily on oak, but less so on 2014 and 2015 Geyserville. I’m probably more American oak sensitive than Most Ridge drinkers - in fact, it has cut back my purchasing of some other Ridge bottlings - but I’m happy with the last two vintages of Ridge. Just had another 2015 two nights ago.

ALso popped a 2005 La Rioja Alta 904 that night. Could not handle more than one glass with its pungent American oak. Yes, a baby, but I popped it, and the Geyserville, for my parents.

Thanks guys, good info.

Tom

David, did this see any decanter time?

I haven’t had the 14 or 15 Geyservilles, but the 13 showed less overt oak than I recall finding on a young Geezer. I found this to be a good thing.

Thanks very much for the note. I was able to get a bunch of these at a great price locally, and I’ve been itching to crack into one. Sounds like the smart move, however, would be to wait a while.

Bought 4 cases at $24.99- always one of my favorite wines. Appreciate the note. Will open one soon and hopefully enjoy them over the next couple decades, if I don’t drink them too fast.

Can’t seem to find this cheap locally. Even my total wine has it at 38. Obnoxious.

Extraordinary price

Wow, amazing price. A good $10 cheaper than I’ve ever seen here in AZ

I bought a sixer at $30. At $25 is house wine! Ok, I’m guzzling it like house wine, but at $25 it tastes even better.

[cheers.gif]

No. It was a last minute decision to open it.

Craig, I’ve had the 2015 a couple times and I’d advise against decanting it. It’s quite structured, more so than the 2014 and it seems to become less showy with additional aeration.

I popped one of these last night without decanting. It was fantastic right away. There was definitely a tannic presence, but the luscious yet structured fruit (think blackberry, marionberry with a slight “briar” sensibility to it) was the show stopper. I love it, but am taking in on faith from all of you that it rewards age and will leave my others in the cellar. 93 BR points

These are now available at the DFW area Total Wines for $29.99 a bottle when you buy six bottles. I got a case after trying a single bottle. Buy with confidence that the 2015 might be the best Geyserville made (I have had every vintage from '94 forward).

Had another '15 Geyserville last night. They (like the '15 Lytton) are exceptional.

Rich, Fry’s carries it for $40 (which is high) but with their regular 30% off sale for 6 bottles (mix and match), $28 isn’t bad. Bonus is that our “new Fry’s” has it stored in the “cellar” area for premium wines so it pretty well temp controlled.

Nice, thanks Bill! Definitely beats total wine here at $35 a pop (unless you can work in the 20% discount you get once in a great while)