Leroy Bourgogne 2015

I seem to be getting offers from dozens of sources. Some of them I don’t associate with Leroy at all. Has anybody tasted the wine, and do we know if production is the same as previous years, and I am just being paranoid?

bump…I was wondering the same thing

Dave Vino txt’d me a dinner pic from Beaune the other day with a bottle of this. He seemed impressed. I’ll flick him a txt and ask if he wants to comment.

I’ve drunk a couple of bottles and it’s very good:

• 2015 Maison Leroy Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (4/10/2017)
    Served blind to me by Andrew, which was good because I’d recently bought a case of this wine. Iridescent purple red. Very bright. On bouquet, dark cherry, blackberry, a hint of cassis, dried herbs and metallic minerals. On palate, more black cherry and other dark fruits. A serious amount of tannin and structure that needs 3+ years to better resolve and integrate. Intense, with good acidity. Fine and elegant. Mineral with touches of dried herbs. Excellent for this level but priced accordingly, of course. I remember the 2009 as enjoyable, this is a good wine to buy in riper years like 2015.

Posted from CellarTracker

By the way, to add, good availability of the 2015 here, the most I’ve seen since the 2009. I assumed it was a longer vintage but don’t know …

Yep would agree with the above, probably would add a bit of earthiness and plum to the notes, definitely has a lot of interest for that level wine. And yes it is readily available, I chose a few random cafe/restaurants in Beaune for lunch when there last week and all 3 had it by the bottle for about 45-50 euro.

I bought some and have heard good things. Agree that it has been surprisingly available compared with previous years.

And now I’ve been offered the 2015 Leroy Bourgogne Blanc. It’s similarly priced and the volumes available are again good. Has anyone tried it yet?

Also interested after the latest offer.

Yes I saw the PMFW offer also, brutal pricing for a Bourgogne Blanc if you ask me.

Brodie, I agree. But because it’s Leroy it’s never really been priced like an ordinary Bourgogne … Tempted?

cheap compared to Vogüe´s Bg blanc … neener

Nope-not even slightly tempted. For same $$ I buy Lamy St Aubins and for $20 less a bottle I get Dauvissat 1er crus.

Personally I find Leroy’s pricing model insulting and one I refuse to support. Better QPR pretty much anywhere else. Others may see this differently

Brodie

:wink: but… It’s not being made anymore. I believe from 2015 on its Musigny. Blanc.

Im with you Brodie,although I dont feel insulted by their pricing, I just think they cater to a market that I am not part of. They pretty much sell every bottle they produce so from their point of view they have the supply/demand equation about right, But I 100% agree that you can get much better value elsewhere if you have the time and inclination to do your homework

• so even still rarer ! [snort.gif]

Damn this is tasty juice, even better than the delicious 2009…dangerously drinkable.

A few years ago - maybe 2015 - I was in burgundy wine company in Manhattan and Geri, the proprietor, had a single bottle each of the ‘78 and ‘85 Leroy Bourgogne. She told me she’d had them since release, which may have been after the normal vintage release but was quite some time ago, and she couldn’t really vouch as to whether they were still good. I plopped down about $150 for the two thinking it would be fun but probably a losing bet. Both wines were profound. Every bit as good as drinking grand cru burg at its apogee. That was the first time I realized that the difference between a really good Bourgogne and higher cru burgs isn’t the aging curve. Anyway, I put away a half case of Leroy Bourgogne in any vintage that I think might be as spectacular like 78 or 85. Haven’t made my mind up on ‘15 yet.

Don’t think twice. Buy the half case, and then some, it’s that good.

I don’t know if it’s production or distribution, but Leroy seems to make* a lot more Bourgogne (rouge) in good years. Or it could be that I simply see it offered more often in good years. In any case, I remember that 99s had some variation but could be really, really good.

*I say “make” but seem to recall reading that they might buy finished wine for this. Could be wrong of course.