Galloni on CBS was a roll out for a subscription Delectable.

As of today Delectable now sports ads between user submissions and also pop ups when you attempt to add a wine. Next they will say, “Want to lose the ads, spend $x/mo.”

Antonio didn’t mention that in his interview, only that for $5.99/mo you can get Vinous scores on Delectable wines as well. So now even if you didn’t want them you will need to pay for them in order to keep the user interface ad free and enjoyable? Users built that app and made it what it is. Congratulations, here’s your bill.

$6 a month is not that big of a deal to me, especially for the daily enjoyment I get from the app. I’ve met a lot of great people through Delectable.

$72 per year seems steep - is this in addition to the Vinous subscription?

My Print Edition Subscription to The Washington Post is $14.99 per month and it comes with daily content, all sorts of apps, reviews etc. just as a reference point.

Digital only is $9.99 per month.

I’ll be interested to see if people are willing to pay. That said, he may have priced it that high because the ad revenue is worth more to him.

I’m gone if there is a charge.

You can cheap out and get CellarTracker for free. I make a donation based on the size of my cellar. Works out to $3.00 a month, and I’m very happy with all the extra information I’m able to access.

$72 a year seems excessive. I watched the segment on CBS.

But you still have to subscribe to Vinous to get his reviews. I hope this new tie-in with Delectable doesn’t impact the CT tie in. Not that I subscribe to Vinous, but I don’t want to see the value of CT diminished for others

If you have Amazon Prime you get 6 months of the Washington Post for free. Then $3.99 thereafter.

$4 a month for the Post? Seriously? I need to unsubscribe and then re-subscribe! I pay multiples of that

It’s called “monetization” - the scourge of the digital world.

Hahaha, first ad I see:
IMG_7319.PNG

They’ve got you pegged.

Me too! Ha!
IMG_4280.JPG

I’m not seeing any ads. I wonder if it’s because I already subscribe to Vinous, or because I haven’t updated to the latest version of Delectable yet…?

I wish I could go back to an older version. I refently refreshed all my apps that needed updating. Had no idea what was in store.
IMG_5985.JPG

Does the Washington Post offer require a Kindle?

And o thought the appearance was to explain why Rose is such a hot commodity . . .

No

You can use the WP app or browser to view.

You just have to sign up through your Amazon account.

I usually read on my IPAD.

Can’t say i’m surprised but, honestly, I do not see how the app justifies the price.

That’s a shame. Mind you I never bother to update my apps and don’t see myself doing it any time in the near future… in any case I have an add-blocker so all I’ll see is a blank space on my screen.

ads aren’t the issue. really shitty ads are the issue. i’m hopeful they can make this work so judgement reserved right now.

I had a bunch of issues with the app UI already (tagging/untagging people, reviews showing up in the comments, basic workflow inconsistencies, etc), but I stuck with it for the social aspect.

However, paying for it to avoid being peppered with ads is not worth it for me, given the issues mentioned above. It’s hard to find value in this.

JF