Galloni on CBS was a roll out for a subscription Delectable.

Here is the interview, though I understand you can only watch it here if you are in the US:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/scan-and-learn-delectable-app-helps-people-navigate-wine-choices/vp-BBDXtAJ

We also built Wine Berserkers and have to pay to keep it ad-free. [shrug.gif] [berserker.gif]

Just to be clear, the app is still free. $5.99 per month is only to add the 250,000 Vinous reviews to the app.

But the biggest reason to pay the monthly fee is to get rid of the ads.

Two thoughts. I can’t believe people who spend HUNDREDS even thousands on a bottle of wine are getting upset over like $70. Second the guy is brilliant. This is the only way in 2017 to make a lot of money as a wine critic. The Parker model is dead which is why they agreed to get the monkey off their back by bringing in Michelin. Galloni is the smartest guy in the biz of reviewing its obvious.

Brian, as someone who used the app pretty extensively, do you think you will continue to use it? If so, will you pony up to get rid of the adds (I guess you might care about the vinous scores but I know they are irrelevant to me).

If I drop Delectable, I’m ditching my Vinous subscription as well. I don’t give a rat’s ass about integrating Vinous content into Delectable, and given the amount of content I’ve put into Delectable (images for over 1,700 wines and notes on hundreds of them), the ongoing poor levels of support for Delectable (I’ve been waiting more than a week for them to correct a wine that doesn’t exist, though they just identified a wine I posted 28 weeks ago, so I guess I’ll be lucky if they fix this one by Christmas), and what I’ve paid for my Vinous subscription, I’m currently more than a little pissed off that Antonio thinks it is reasonable to make me pay another $70/year or get slammed with ads.

I don’t get the notion that adding Vinous content to Delectable is a significant value add for an existing Vinous subscriber. Why the hell do I care what anyone at Vinous said about a wine I’m currently drinking? Am I supposed to substitute their perception for my own? If I care what they have to say, I’ll look it up in CT or on Vinous.

It was easy to overlook some of the issues with Delectable in the past, before the choice was paying per month or getting harassed by ads. This is a really stupid move by Antonio.

Mike - same applies to any review.

If you’ve never used the app and never subscribed - are you missing something by not getting more wine reviews?

In this day and age, I can’t figure out why anyone pays for reviewers content. Virtually every wine you might look for has all the reviews attached to it on one retailer’s site or another.

My understanding is that this is not the way it works. If you are already paying for Vinous, you should be getting the reviews ad-free on Delectable.

Ken, as I said in the version of my rant I posted to Vinous, my sentiments change if the fee is waived for Vinous subscribers, but I haven’t seen anything that says that they intend to handle it that way. I think that approach will cost them a lot of users who aren’t Vinous subscribers, but it won’t interfere with the core use of the app for my purposes, which is as an easy way of keeping up with what I drink. Ads make it annoying to use, so my priority is making sure I don’t have to deal with them. Integration of Vinous reviews is just adding a few more sprinkles on a sundae that is already well-sprinkled.

Delectable has always been and will always remain a wine geek social media site where we share what we are drinking. I don’t need outside content mixed with my fun time. I’ll probably stick with it and gloss over the ads but they are very annoying.

That’s kind of what I figured you might say. I haven’t invested nearly as much time as you or Mike have so it would upset me too bad to cut ties at this point. However, I’m going to try to carry on despite the ads but they may get to me eventually.

I figure since I’ve posted over 2000 wines on Delectable, I probably should be paying them something. That makes the subscription price seem pretty reasonable in terms of how much I have used it.
It’s sort of like a very inexpensive tasting group. That’s a pretty small fee to discuss wines we are drinking with a fun group of people.

Eric, your view on this is entirely too reasonable. For me, I have a philosophical opposition to paying for content when I feel I should be able to get it for free. I will spend $5 on a coffee drink I don’t need and not even bat an eye. But if I have to face the prospect of paying for a movie rental on Amazon when I’m already signed up for Prime, I will go to great lengths to avoid paying $2.99 on sheer principle.

I don’t have a problem with paying for content. I do have a problem with paying for it twice. I already subscribe to Vinous, so paying another $70/yr to see the same content isn’t attractive to me.

Neither is paying $70 to stop seeing ads on a platform that was entirely ad-free before Vinous bought it.

The unique content on Delectable is all provided by the users. Charging users who are delivering content (1000+ bottle pictures and tasting notes in my case, 2000+ in Eric’s, etc.) to see another user’s content may make some sense if the fee is low enough. After all, Delectable is providing the forum for it to occur. But $70/year is well beyond what that’s worth to me. I’m interested to see what Eric or Brian or a group of others are drinking, and what they think of it, but most of those folks are already posting notes (usually more detailed) on CellarTracker…which I already happily pay to use. So, again, there’s not a lot of unique content.

As such, at least for someone like me who already uses Vinous and CellarTracker, this isn’t a win. It’s having a previously ad-free app get overrun with ads so Vinous can make more money, or paying $70 to make the ads disappear (which, again, helps Vinous make more money).

This…

If Antonio is able to get away with both 1) charging people money to read his reviews + 2) charging people money to write their own reviews, then color me impressed.

And I think he also got the Wine Advocate to pay him for reviews that ended up on his own site!

Triple win!

Wait a second, you cheat on us?!? Even after getting your own “stickie” thread?!

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

I’m crushed. I am completely monogamous.

Honestly, I barely know anything about this source and did not know it even contained a forum.

I thought we had robots to do this nowadays?