Best Cheap Italian?

Hard to beat for the price.
IMG_1746.JPG

Eighteen bucks a bottle? Sure…why not.

Another thread reminds me that I do like this in most vintages $17.
IMG_20170702_184904.jpg

I was pretty impressed with the villa antinori I had by the glass at a local restaurant.

Monsanto CCR - $17
Gulfi Cerasuolo - 18
Produttori Langhe - 17
Vajra Rosso - 14
Vajra Nebbiolo Langhe - 20
Felsina CCR -19

$19 2013 Collazzi Otto Muri Toscana IGT

6/12/2017 - I LIKE THIS WINE: (Edit)
92 Points
Fantastic. Surprisingly this pleased my chardonnay loving friends who dislike sauv blanc AND my sauv blanc loving friends who don’t generally like chards. I am adding this note too late to remember specifics bit this wine splits the dofference between a big bodied whote and a crips white, has lots of aromatics and sort of like Gene Autry it has never met a person who didn’t like it. Lol.

$20 2014 Tenute Cisa Asinari dei Marchesi di Grésy Merlot Monferrato

The £10 Nebbiolo tonight was wonderful, but not a producer I expect is in the US.

It may be a simple pleasure, but Moscato d’Asti is a lot of enjoyment for the money and I’ve yet to have one that I didn’t enjoy.

I’m fond of the Angelo Negro Angelin Nebbiolo for 17

I like these too.

Excellent suggestions above, Produttori and Felsina are excellent.

While harder to find, most of the fine white wines from Colli Orientali del Friuli, which can be Friulano, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Ribolla Gialla and others, are pretty fantastic for under $20. Vinga del Lauro comes to mind. Terlano from Alto Adige makes some good whites at all price points too.

I had a glass of the Vajra Russo at lunch yesterday, I enjoyed it though it was a little hot (temperature wise). I need to see who carries it locally.

Terre Nere Etna Rosso is my go to wine

What, no whites??

Feudi San Gregorio’s Greco di Tufo is awesome and around the $13-$15 range.

Nice list. I’ll add Collestefano Verdicchio ($13)

If one were to sit down and write out a complete list of great Italian wines under $20 - the list would be in the tens of thousands -

Hi Thomas
Maybe just thousands, but I certainly agree in principle.

One problem is that many any aren’t actually sub-$20 wines, because they never make it to the US (or UK etc.), but remain great sub-€20 wines.

Many are small production, never mentioned by critics and never picked up by importers, or if they are, may have very narrow availability. There is definitely value here, very much helped by getting out to the wine regions and tasting. Arguably there is a comparative premium to pay for well-known / well-regarded wines, however it is easier to recommend these than Cascina Saria, Giuseppe Nada, Mirù, Daviddi, etc. which are unlikely to be available.

regards
Ian

+1 on the TN Etna Rosso
Also Antonio Vallana e Figlio Spanna

There are tons of really interesting Italian wines available in the US for less than $20*, almost all of them from less well-known appellations. I import wines from Ischia, Matelica, southern Puglia, and Basilicata that meet those criteria, and even wines from the Chianti Classico and Dogliani that do. I know many of my importer colleagues do the same thing.

• full retail

Ian - On this we agree! champagne.gif

I think the Neprica is a great deal for an Italian red wine, too.