Best Cheap Italian?

This thread needs more pictures. We are visual creatures. I need a label to remember.

Oddly that was one I tried and didn’t get excited by - yet I’m normally a bit of a fan of the value in Puglian wines.

https://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Verno-Alberico-Mens-Grey-and-Black-Textured-Classic-Fit-Two-Piece-Suit/10704930/product.html?refccid=JNJRNFSB6FRLNUSNFHU2JJXDXQ&searchidx=10&keywords=&refinement=clearance:Clearance|

Barry will be appearing all week. Be sure to tip your server.

I opened a bottle of 2014 Cascina Bruciata Usignolo Langhe Nebbiolo last evening and it only reinforces what I learned back in the 80s, you usually get what you pay for. Not bad but no distinction whatsoever. Cheerios.

Hi Mike
That sound just like the typical experience I used to have with Nebbiolo d’Alba / Langhe Nebbiolo a decade ago, but these days there seem much more wines that capture something of the character of the lead wines in a lighter frame.
regards
Ian

Ian, the Produttori del Barbaresco Nebbiolo di Langhe was a better experience and closer to what you speak of. I purchased bunch.

Oltretorrente Rosso Colli Tortonese (Barbera 90%, Dolcetto 10%). $18. A great daily drinker that appeals to novices, but is interesting enough for geeks too.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/masciarelli+montepulciano+d+abruzz+italy/1/usa

Yes, this for sure, and the Felsina CCR mentioned earlier

I like the Terre Nere Etna Rosso as well as the always fine Monsanto Chianti Classico. There are tons of the Toscanas like the Antinori that are all pretty good for everyday table fare.

Never had the Gulfi Cerasuolo but otherwise a great list. I’ll have to try the Gulfi.

Jeff, really like the Gulfi. It is similar to, if not quite as good as, Occhipinti’s SP68.

I agree that there is an ocean of good Italian wine available in this country under $20 (Kermit Lynch currently has a superb 2004 Barbera in his price book that would retail for less than $20). But how about picking up on Marcus’ comment and identify a handful of good ones under, say, $10 or $12, and exclude the grocery store brands such as Antonori and Monte Antico.