TN: Thibault Liger-Belair NSG LSG 2008

gorgeous depth and texture, crammed with dark fruits, way more approachable than young Les St. Georges usually is, it is a super young red Burg. Taste buds are all at attention and the inner mouth perfume invades every crevice, the flavors driven home by the acidity that freshens the whole package. Wow.

Had a Clos Vougeot from them last year Alan and was surprised at how open-knit and delicious the wine was. An '08 Pavelot Dominodes last night was also singing. '08’s seem to be in a very nice place right now.

it depends what you mean with “nice place”. A good drink? Probably. Mature? Certainly not.

I had a 08 Chambolle Charmes Hudelot-Noellat a week ago, very primary, not closed, but nice red fruits and not much more, still tannic and one dimensional with prominent acidity - not what I am looking for in a Premier Cru burgundy, a good 6-8 years away from beginning maturity.
A Gevrey Goulots Heresztyn in March quite similar, only more structured.
(both not my bottles)

I don´t see the 08s as in a drinkable stage now.

Underrated producer, overshadowed by the mnre famous Liger-Belair. TLB wines from the Hautes Cotes de Nuits are semi-affordable and excellent wine. The 09 Clos de Vougeot was killer.

Thanks for the tip re his Hautes Cdnuits village. Is it comparable with the Hautes CdNuits by Gilles-Jayer and Henri Naudin-Ferrand ?

BTW…I adore the purity of Claire Naudin’s style flirtysmile !

I won´t say it is really underrated, he owns Richebourg, Clos Vougeot and the largest Les St.Georges-parcel … and the prices are not really cheap (however more affordable than the Comte Liger-Belair …)
The style is IMHO less refined and a bit more rustic, quite dark coloured wines, also the wood is quite noticable in the youth … I´d say the wines need time …
(I´ve never tasted the Hautes Cotes …)

Gerhard…thanks for the info …re his style.

SAQ offers his Richebourg here in Montreal, Quebec.

Alan, is this the same bottle that you had while visiting Quebec a few years back? It sounds great and will look to track some down.

Well, I guess the Rb is 300-400 ? - right?
Usually an outstanding wine (tasted 2 times) … and also the Clos Vougeot and Les St.Georges are recommended, but no early drinkers…
I also enjoyed the Vosne Aux Reas once … (as always … too young in restaurants).
If prices are right I won´t hesitate …

Had the 2009 LSG last night vs. the 2007 Chevillon LSG, and the terroir transparency and classiness of the Chevillon style really won over the more bombastic, and powerful style of the TLB, but both were quite enjoyable. The TLB probably was aided by the ripe vintage, but the terroir didn’t shine quite as nicely as the Chevillon did.

I think so, Martin. I chased down a few and am glad to have done so.

Nice! I think we both really liked the 2006 too! I haven’t touched my '08’s yet…that will be rectified soon. Can anyone opine on the '09’s?

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2005? Seems pricey.

Thibault was until 2010 under 50 € for the LSG. Since 2011 prices are around 65 € about the same as Gouges. Richebourg got more expensinve over the years : from 185 € to 300 €. Petit Monts sadly since 2007 no more available.

Drew,
2005 is a very good wine but still needs time. What price do you see ?

Cheers
Rainer

Gerhard, have you had any of his more recent wines? I have had a couple of his lesser wines young in restaurants and have tried his wines en primeur and it seems like the oak is less noticeable than before. They’re definitely still long term drinkers.

They’re “underrated” in the U.S., where Comte Liger-Belair seems to dominate both pricing and discussions. I would not say the wines were cheap, but I’ve found them good “value” for the vineyards you mention, among others.

I like Thibault a lot. A wonderful man. His Les St Georges is first rate!

Thanks, Rainer. In the $80s on a case. I’m leaning against it.

So gracious and so cool. Met and toured Thibault’s place two summers ago with a Vineyard Brands group and Danny Haas. Had the privilege of drinking Petit Mont '07, LSG, the white, but his entry level wines like mentioned above (Deux Terre which is half Gamay and half Pinot) are insane bargains for what they are. Small production for sure. I couldn’t believe how tiny an operation he has in his cellar.

Just look at that wall…

Deux légendes…

<$1,000 for a case of the '05 LSG? Where? I’m all in…