New Bordeaux Vintages: When do you stop?

I’m coming to the age where I need to consider whether it is worthwhile, from an actuarial perspective, to purchase new vintages of wines which I would prefer to drink in their maturity. At what age would you stop buying new vintages of long-aging wines like a good Bordeaux?

How old are you?

I’m 51. Swore I’d stop at 2010 but the style and pricing of 2014 got me, bought quite a bit. Have not pulled the trigger on any 2015 or 2016. I’m only backfilling now.

I’m 57; stopped with the '10’s.

I’m about 50. There’s some good 2014 available, and with the 2016 futures about to start, I wonder if I should go to it, but then I start doing math.

43 here. I am about done on the Bordeaux front. A few more vintages of Lafite is probably about all I will do.

2014 made sense given the price and quality. At 2015 and 2016 pricing, backfilling makes more sense to me, especially considering the maturation curve. I have always said, I’d rather have a mature 90 point wine than a young 95 point wine (using critics’ scoring here).

oh crap - we’re supposed to STOP?

Turned 50 this year. I still buy, but not the vin de garde types. These days it’s Cantermerle or similar things. Have to see what the '15 Lanessan is like before I commit to future vintages, but if I still like it that would be a good one as well.

No 30 years to maturity wines anymore.

That would be my impulse (I’m 53) but my father, who is 86, really loves the wines I’ve introduced him to and gets a lot of pleasure and nuance out of them. He only started drinking when he was 80 – he was a little like Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine, only he chose Bordeaux instead of smack. So I’m going to keep buying, maybe just a case or two in the good years, and likely only in the formats that are harder to find later. My go-to high-end (for me) is Pontet Canet and I’ve noticed the prices on many but not all vintages are fairly stable over time, so no rush on the 750s.

There are always 375ml options as futures! They mature faster for us doing the math!

Fifty seven this month. Two thousand was the last vintage I purchased in quantity. Part of this decision is my age, the other part is that the standards I purchased in the past have become very expensive and additionally I’m not sure what to buy in this age of spoofed wines. No spoof for me please. [cheers.gif]

I’m just more selective about wines and vintages. I used to buy a variety of wines in a good vintage. In 2014 I just bought my two (historically) favorite wines. In 2015, nothing yet.

I remember drinking and really enjoying 1979 Pichon Lalande in the late 80’s, so I don’t think there’s any reason not to buy favorites. Maybe I’d stop if I were 80 or 90, but not now.

As a wine lover who does a decent side business in helping people downsize their collections, I must advise you that stopping is not compulsory. champagne.gif

51, turning 52 in a little over 2 weeks. Never bought en primeur; comparatively rarely ever bought Bdx less than 10 years old. That said, the most recent Bdx (red) vintage I’ve bought was 2001 (so, there it was I “stopped”). Burgundy (red) was a few bottles of Anne Gros’ 2003 basic bourgogne when I stayed at her guest house back in autumn of 2007 - mainly to try out because she said that vintage was “very challenging to make balanced wine”.

After tasting through Bdx vintage 2005, a friend of mine (who runs his family winery in Margaux) asked me what wines I ordered of said vintage. I replied: none, as I’ve no patience to wait on wines. He then asked why I wouldn’t buy some cases for my sons - to which I answered that my father bought his own wines, I bought/buy my own wines; so my sons can buy their own wines. Once they are out from under my roof, if they can’t afford fine wine; then they have no business drinking the same.

N

Now. Better yet, don’t start. Frenchie Le Pew doesn’t need your money. Buy American. Support Americans.

Too funny

Why mention Bordeaux only?
The same scenario applies also for most of the other major districts

I’m 61. I planned to stop with the 2010s but bought 2012s. Not sure if I’ll get to them all.

That was my last Bordeaux vintage. Stopped buying all wine late last year. At our rate of consumption we should be good into my 80s.

39, I’ve stopped. I have plenty and if I’m wrong I can buy mature vintages in bond.

I´ve stopped buying Bordeaux basicly after vintage 2000 - buying 6 bts. of 2003 only … and afterwards only single bottles now and then …
In our monthly tasting group we are tasting the new vintages anually, so I´m well informed, but

1. nowadays I can buy Bordeaux always and almost everywhere without any problems if I want to …
    and 2) futures aren´t anymore what they were … money saving opportunities …

I still buy Burgundies and Rhones (mostly off domaines) - which are usually gone soon after release … and since I hope to live until age 80+ (now 59) I still will be able to enjoy most of these … otherwise it´s a good heritage for my kids …