What type of stemware should I use for Riesling?

Drinking a high quality Riesling this weekend for a special occasion. 1995 Nikolaihof ‘Vinothek’ Riesling to be exact. I want to make the most of the experience, so I was hoping to get a recommendation on what type of stemware to use. I have an assortment at my disposal (simple white wine stems, Bordeaux, Burgundy, etc.).

Thank you!

When you say simple white wine stems, I’m assuming you mean they’re a bit small?

I like drinking out of a Bordeaux glass, but I’m not a fanatic about stemware.

I drink almost all bigger Riesling out of Bordeaux glasses, though I am also not a fanatic about glass shape, and think you’d do well with that. Enjoy the Vinothek.

Gabriel glas

+1

+2 I’ve been shying away from using my GG on big reds, but they shine with Riesling

Zalto Universal is the best Riesling glass I’ve found. Gabriel is good too.

Cheers,
Bill

To the OP - please don’t think you have to go out and buy Gabriel Glasses or Zaltos. Whatever larger, more or less Bordeaux style glass you have will work brilliantly, I am sure.

Yes, definitely this.

Completely agree. Nothing better than the Zalto Universal for Riesling IMO.

• a lot. The Universal is my favorite for Riesling, but I haven’t had a chance to try many out of the GG’s. You certainly don’t need either of these to enjoy a nice wine, but if you haven’t already, buy a few of each. You will not be disappointed.

Riedel’s Vinum Chianti/Riesling/Zinfandel glass is fine by me; when I’m at home I generally don’t use a glass as large as most of the modern Bordeaux glasses for Riesling, though, but that might just be a habit.

Depending on the Riesling wine in question, sometimes I prefer the Zalto white wine glass over the Universal.
Most producers I visit show the wines in Universals.
Some use the white wine glass.
I’ve never tried gabriel glas.
Fwiw.

+1 on the zalto universal

I never bothered to buy the Zaltos. I have tried them several times, but see no improvement over a high quality Chianti or Bordeaux stem.

I agree
Universal is superior
It would be a little arrogant for amateurs like me to imagine to know better than the favorite producers [snort.gif]

Zalto white Burg.

[scratch.gif]

[scratch.gif]

I think aromatics are so vital to Riesling’s appeal, so I go with a smallish Burg bowl style, and make sure not to serve the wine too cold. I think I usually use Schott Zweisel.