TNs: Penfolds Bin 707 vertical incl 1966

Penfolds Bin 707 Cabernet Sauvignon is one of Australia’s most important wines. It sits at the top of the Penfolds tree a rung below Grange, having been produced since 1964. Originally produced from Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon it has been produced each year, aside from a hiatus from 1971 to 1976. From the late 70s the wine became a blend of Penfold’s best parcels of Cabernet Sauvignon and at times included fruit from Coonawarra, Padthaway, McLaren Vale and the Barossa. Coonawarra has generally contributed a component to the final blend, hence the themed dinner of the Coonawarra single bottle club last night.
The wine is matured in 100% American oak hogsheads, with a large proportion being new barrels. It is a rich, hedonistic wine. The price of 707 has skyrocketed in recent vintages, largely driven by the demand from China, where 707 has a special cachet. Here in the restaurant we have sold all of our 707 bottles and magnums over the last three years as a consequence of the burgeoning Chinese tourist market. Prior to their arrival, the cost of entry meant that bottle sales were very slow. It is noteworthy that there was no 707 available from any of Australia’s major national chains, despite the $450 price tag.
This was a special dinner at Pipers of Penola, a five course feast that included a stunning course of seared local abalone with forest mushroom risotto and black garlic.
On to the wines.

2008 Penfolds Bin 707
Big, dark chocoberry nose, sweet oak notes discernible. The palate is saturated with dark plum and cassis. Very rich and slippery, with polished tannins. Glides past the tonsils, despite its youth. Easy to like, quite ripe, reflecting the hot vintage.

1998 Penfolds Bin 707
1998 was a lovely vintage across South Australia, without extreme heat and a long, warm Autumn. This is in a lovely place. It is leafier, noticeably finer than the ’08, still with a core of cassis fruit. The palate is nicely integrated with fine and persistent tannins and a long finish. Plenty left in the tank, just entering its drinking window. When I opened the wine three hours prior to dinner it looked dumb, was all arms and legs and was showing its oak. A double decant and three hours did this wine a huge service. Great wine.

1994 Penfolds Bin 707
Very fresh, still with purple tints. Sweet, black fruits of good density. Some nice savoury black olive and briary complexity. Still quite firm, with slightly furry tannins. Needs time.

1989 Penfolds Bin 707
Lifted fruits, dark soy and beef stock notes. Really nicely integrated, round and fleshy. Lacks the fruit definition of previous two wines reflecting the hot vintage conditions. However this is a really lovely drink like my old favourite the ’89 Grange, from a rather unfashionable vintage.

1966 Penfolds Bin 707
Picked in April and bottles in September 1966. Not much oak influence. In wonderful condition, with a hint of smoked oysters that I see in old, great Bordeaux, beef stock, sweet fruits and a touch of spice. Beautifully integrated, with wonderful shape and amazing freshness for a 51 yo wine. An absolute joy.

To finish one of the winemakers brought a component of 99 Grange that was processed in Coonawarra from Kalimna, Barossa fruit. It was rich, dark, supremely youthful with incredible balance. What a treat.

The wines sound incredible. Thanks for the write-up.

That’s an awesome set of wines. Very glad I have a 1986 Bin 707 in the cellar that’s on deck to drink this spring.

Great notes, Kent, thanks.

I think over here, we underestimate the longevity of Aussie Cabernets; I had a 1984 Tahbilk recently that was unbelievably fresh and interesting.

Hi Salil,
86 Cabernets are wonderful. That bottle should be special.

Hi Mark,
Quiet right. I have had many Australian Cabernets from the 60s and 70s and they genuinely last very well, especially from Coonawarra. last week I cracked a 1993 Seppelt Dorrien Cab Sauv from the Barossa that was looking quite youthful. Margaret River is a newer wine region, but the best Cabernets age with similar grace, especially the Moss Wood cabs.

Thanks for the notes, Kent!

I used to be enamored with the reds from Penfolds but, as you have pointed out, the price leap has pretty much placed them out of my range. :frowning:

I last purchased Penfolds in 2014(?), on clearance from a local shop. I was fortunate enough to get 2 x St Henri 2006 (~$40) 1 x St Henri 2005, and 1 x RWT (~$60 - corked, unfortunately). I probably should have sat on them, but ageing wines isn’t my forte.

The Bin 128 Kalmina Shiraz and Bin 389 Cab/Shiraz used to be $22/btl, but now I find them at $30 and $60, respectively.

707 is high on my list!!

Awesome, I’ve had the 98 many times, but not recently. Loved that wine

Thanks for the notes Kent. What a great tasting.

One question did the 1966 only spend ~4 months in oak?

Hi Sean,
That is what the label indicated. Winemaking was a bit more rudimentary in those days. Could have been a typo I guess on the label.
Cheers,
Kent

I used to buy a fair bit of Penfolds in the days gone by. They were a reliable brand and wines were relatively inexpensive. Thats all changed in the past 5 years or so. Grange and 707 have rocketed up in price and lifted the rest with them.

I did like the 1986, 1990 and 1994 vintages of 707 at release and with some age although one should note that they are made in a particular style - which is highly concentrated and a bit oak showing and with Penfolds signature. I have now moved away from that style. It is still possible that given sufficient bottle age 30+ years the wines may lose their plushness and become more ethereal and attractive. I am keeping by bottles of 1996 vintage of 707 to test that hypothesis.

I also purchased the Special Bin Block 42 in 1996 and Bin 60A in 2004. Again I am to leave them in the cellar for a long time before attempting to taste one , especially the 2004.

I did buy St Henri up to 2012. Not sure I will continue that .

The wine that I like most from Penfolds stable now is their Chardonnay. Bin15A (2015 vintage) current release along with Bin 14A, 12A have all been excellent.

Chinese like RED wines not white, it seems.

Thanks for the notes Kent. It’s a treat to try those legendary old Aussie wines.

Interesting comments Sanjay. I am pretty much in the same boat. 2012 Yattarna is outrageously good if you ever spy a bottle. Was only ever released at cellar door I believe due to the small quantities.

As I recall, the ‘Mount Barker’ listed on the label of the 1994 is the one in Western Australia. Not sure what the % was - not enough to kick ‘South Australia’ off the label - but an interesting little bit of 707 trivia. A couple of bottles of the 1990 have been transcendent in my experience.
Actually, looking at CT, I see I have have 31 documented notes on Bin 707, and if the 92 and 93 are a bit weaker, it’s still rarely a label that disappoints.
cheers,
Graeme

Thanks Graeme,
I had no idea…did not read the label that closely. Do like Mount Barker Cabs though. Still have a few from Howard Park from the mid 90s lying around.

Thanks for the notes, one of very few bottles of OZ wines I still keep, should still have '96 Bin 707 somewhere, the last bottle about 4 years back was pretty good.

The '94 707 is a cracker, have had it quite a few times, still have some mags somewhere…

I think this wine really needs 30 years minimum, I will look at some of my '90’s wines (like the very good '96) in another 10 plus years.

Kent. Great restaurant. Who was there? I’m guessing Sue Hodder, Pete Bissell?

Tried to look for the Yattarna in recent vintages (2012, 2014, 2015) but never could find one.

Lots and lots of other good Australian chardonnays out there.