TNs: Penfolds Bin 707 vertical incl 1966

James,
The Single bottle Club is like Fight Club…

So you traveled all the way to coonawarra just to drink the wine in semi-context as some of the grapes came from there?!

I live 50km from Coonawarra and am a member of the club.

Oh. I thought you lived near Adelaide for some reason :slight_smile:

Paul Hanna flies a 3400 km round trip most months to attend our Monday table dinners !

He sounds like one of those tree hugging environmentalists!

M8PP3QU7wjI

We are forever telling the State Government that there is South Australia beyond the extremities of Adelaide. It is a hard sell though.

What a great lineup - and a rare treat. I remember buying these wines a long time ago but today the prices seem to have climbed steeply, at least where I live. Also tried the 1998 and agree on your impresssion - a great wine! Cool and noble and black as pitch darkness. Also enjoyed a Bin 707 from 1996 lately.

Amazing to read about the 1966…! 50+ years. Wow.

Agreed on how good mature Australian Cabernet can be. A winemaker acquaintance who had been collecting for years would often ship over some examples from the 60s and 70s as ringers for Bordeaux flights at some very fine dinners.

Anyone tried the '86 707 recently? It’s a Penfolds vintage I’ve tended to prefer over the other “great” ones around it; more old-school.

Rauno,
UI have not tried the '86 for quite some time, but alongisde the '82s is the best SA Cabernet vintage of the 80s IMO.