TN: 2000 Clos du Jaugueyron, Margaux - WOW

This could be one of the most unique, elegant Bordeaux that I’ve ever had. A beautiful expression of terroir.

This is a pretty under-the-radar producer. No big Chateau, no fancy wine consultant, no big-name winemaker. Just the owner. Making wine, simply, the old fashion way. No gimmicks. And a killer vineyard, right next to Palmer and possessing some very old vines. Not cheap, either.

The wine expresses this purity, this simplicity.

Pulled the cork about an hour before consuming. Second glass in, and this wine is glorious. Pretty, floral nose, tight red berries. Light-to-medium on the palate but packs serious intensity. Sweet, concentrated red fruits, minerals. Runs the spectrum of red fruits, from tart cranberries to some spicey, wild red raspberries. Showing relatively high acid for an otherwise warm vintage. Would not have guessed 2000, perhaps 2001. So many comparators that I can use here, none of which are like much of anything I have tried in Bordeaux. Like comparing a franc de pied chinon to a normal vine, the heightened intensity of red fruits, sheer materials, but with concentration. Like comparing a cool climate wine to its warm climate sibling, showing cool, relatively tart red fruits and eucalyptus, rather than an array of darks. A sweet, tight black cherry finish, however. And wood, where is it? Alcohol, only 12.5% and showing (or in this case, not showing) that percentage. Sure there is a soft balsam note, woodsy, suggesting used oak, perhaps with very little new oak added. Or, perhaps just placed into the hands of a highly skilled winemaker that lets the wine make itself rather than applying flavor to the wine.

This, is absolutely gorgeous.

(95 pts.)

Looks like an SQN

The picture is a bit darker than reality.

This baby is super-model lithe.

Never seen a bottle. I’ll have to keep an eye out for it

Selection Massale brought in the 08. I sadly lost one to breakage!

Only 200 cases of the Marguax and 800 of the Haut Medoc.

Just poured another, my fourth glass. Stunning wine.

If you are looking for hedonism, blockbuster, jam, lusciousness, keep walking. This wine ain’t it.

Think heroin chic. This is the Kate Moss of Bordeaux.

Sounds fabulous. A cru bourgeois?

None of my reliable sources have it. You must have a direct line

I’ll have my people call your people. Stat.

BTW, this was an outstanding pairing with grilled rack of lamb, purple potatoes and roasted beets. Also popped a 2013 Clos du Val Cab that was corked, and rightfully dumpity dumpy, plus finished off a killer 2014 Clos de la Roilette Cuvee Tardive, that could be one of the best QPRs on the planet. Though, one could say that in many vintages of that Fleurie.

A friend brought a bottle to a dinner last year. I thought this was a stunning Bordeaux too, so much so I went to snag the lone bottle lying at HDH.

Next to Palmer…remember my thread about the grand classified growth estates with the unherald neighbor…this is what I’m talking about…yet nobody wanted to play :frowning:

Tariff?

The latest release, 2011, was $110.

Thanks for a great note.
I have never had this, or even seen this wine for sale in Denmark.
The 2000 is very rare with only 110 cases produced (J. Leve).
If I ever see one (any vintage), I’ll snap it immediately, if the price is not too steep.

-Søren.

I just went out and grabbed some 2005 of this wine. Not much in the U.S. market, for any vintage.

If you can see the proverbial ribs of this wine, I’m down for a case.

The 2002, perhaps?

Just bought a couple of bottles, just so I can bitch at you if it sucks

What year, Neal?

LOL, on reflection, that was a bit risky for you given my Chinon references! No worries, if you do not like it, I will happily trade you something for it.