TN Challenge: Empty My Wallet, Support Laura's House. 11/21 - 11/30

As has been the tradition around here the last few years, the holiday season brings a time when we raise a little money for some great charities, all with wine (and beer) at the center of our efforts. Here is a summary of what I mean, you can click on the link to get a sense of what is to come:

As your first week sponsor, I will continue the tradition to kick this off and pay a cash donation for every TN this is posted between the dates of 11/21 to 11/30, traditionally here in the US the “Thanksgiving” holiday. Often Pinot Noir is enjoyed with this time of year, with this holiday, so that again will be the theme for these 10 days. Pinot Noir from anywhere!

What happens? You open and post as many Pinot Noir tasting notes as you like, and I will pay $5 for every TN that is posted here during the time period noted above. I will double the payment to $10 per TN, provided you take a photo of yourself with the bottle (not of the bottle, but you and the bottle, even better if you and others enjoying it with you are in the photo). Why the doubled donation? Because the more we can get out from behind an avatar and show who we really are, the less likely we can operate from disrespect and the more we can get to know each other.

At the end of the 10 days, I will count the notes and make a donation to Laura’s House. This has been my charity of choice for the past 10 years, they are the recipient of all the money we collect each year during our Falltacular charity event we have at our house every February. The charity is about ending domestic violence, through emergency shelter services, counseling, transitional housing and community outreach. To learn more, you can click the following:

Starting posting your notes to this thread beginning 11/21 and make me pay!

I’m feeling really thirsty that week. Thanks for stepping up again Frankie, you’re a good man!

You are the man, FMIII.

I’ll be drinkin’ some PN and postin’ some notes.

Rasi.jpg
Here you go FMIII, thanks for doing this.
2014 Rasi Pinot Noir. PnP. Just arrived last week. Dark fruits, cedar, herbs and spice on the nose. More dark fruits, baking spice and earth on the palate, which is complex and intense without feeling heavy, first Pinot my wife has actually liked and not just tolerated. This is excellent juice. [welldone.gif]

Back at Ya, Frankie.

Pic of you and a Pinot for $50 from my end.

Wonderful cause that I have donated to before with the recognition you brought to our community.

Bob, you’re a fast starter, but as we say in the NHL, this would be a face-off violation! And of all wines, the RASI, which I have a fondness for as the winemaker, a young woman named Rachel Silkowski, is the daughter of another WBer here, and she has been coached by Brian Loring. Great story, lovely wine! Tell you what, I will count your TN, call it the first $10 but the action needs to begin from 11/21 to 11/30!

Alf, you’re the man. I will do as you have challenged, the week of T-Giving. Thanks for your generosity.

Rat and Kyle, glad you are in. Thanks for the support.

Frank-would you mind adding the dates to the title.

I like Pinot Noir with Thanksgiving dinner… light, deft, able and willing to help with digestion. We’re going to friends, there will be a lot of people there. So I guess I’ll bring a lot of Pinot Noir, take a lot of pictures.

I assume red Burgundy counts?

I guess it won’t help to bring more than one bottle of each wine? Depending on head count I might want to bring two of each so that everybody gets to taste everything. Picture of two open bottles of the same wine counts as one or two?

Thank you. This is a great idea.

Dan Kravitz

Ok swillmaster, yes, Red Burg counts. About your question, for dupes, I will just count them as the same bottle but if someone else with you posts a TN on the same bottle, that bottle would get paid on 2X. If they add a photo, then one bottle could generate $20 to Laura’s House.

I appreciate you accepting the challenge…thank you, Dan.

I’m sure I can find something in the pinot world that I want to try during this time period. Always happy to relieve the fine man of his wealth.

As always, Frank, you are a terrific person, great to kick this off again.

Mike

Thank you once again for doing this, Frank. You are a good man and this is a worthy cause. I will open a pinot and post next week. Happy to make a separate donation, as well.

when the heck can we start drinking, sheesh??? Way to tease us, Frankie.

You have 3 days left to plan your strategy and then get to posting.

PS–Bob, thank you for the donation to Laura’s House. Not only did you post the photo and the TN, you made the additional donation, and Laura’s House contacted me to say thanks to you for the kindness. You’re the best, man.

I freakin’ LOVE this idea. I should, when participating, do pics of others behind the bottle, as everybody knows what I look like, and they STILL disrespect me [berserker.gif]

Does blanc de noirs Champagne count? :slight_smile:

Sean, it do! But, I ain’t paying for no Blanc de Blancs. champagne.gif

I respect that statement.

FMIII, does a pic of Kyser (the hairball) drinking get extra credit?

Frank - You are a generous man. If we wish to match your donation on our own posts is it best to send you a check to roll it in together as one donation?

Gary, brilliant that you are joining us for the challenge. I would say, if you want to make an additional donation, do it directly to the Laura’s House website and put in the comment/note that you are a Wine Berserker. They keep track of those basic donation metrics.

Scott, ehhh, what is Kyser–explain the code, as I must not be in the cool group!

We had our annual Thanksgiving dinner for the family homeless shelter in White Plains yesterday and everyone asked me why I didn’t bring any pinot noir for the cooks like last year - they all remembered the challenge and the photo we took with the pinot bottles we finished. BUT, since you did not start until today, I did not force them to suffer through pinot. Instead, I brought them these items to drink while cooking a Thanksgiving feast for 110 people over two days:

2010 Saxum Bone Rock, 2013 Aubert Larry and Hyde Chardonnay, 2005 Alban Reva, 2012 Alto Moncayo Veraton, 2013 Tercero Roussane, 2006 Chateau D’Arcins St. Emilion, 2006 Carlisle Pelkan Ranch Syrah and a 2013 Carlisle Grenache.

However, I will force my family to drink pinot on Thursday and again on Saturday to join the challenge.