TN Challenge: Empty My Wallet, Support Laura's House. 11/21 - 11/30

Jay, you’re a good man, and I remember that photo from last year’s challenge very well. I think that was an expensive post you made for me!

Whatever you can do is great, buddy.

To everyone, the challenge is now open. Who is going to be first (well, first after 'ol Bob got in early!).

Ask and you shall receive Frankie! I told you I’d be thirsty this week. This wine really improved from pnp till 3 hours later. Lots of sideways time left in these bottles.

• 2011 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Moore Ranch Vineyard Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/21/2016)
    Dark red and perfumed. Hits the nose with spice, cherry and for lack of better term, chalk. Kind of like getting a whiff of paster dust when you are sanding drywall. Mouth is alive with sweet cherry fruit. Full and tart with a juicy quality and tart edge that pulls through the finish. Man this really explodes with flavor the more I swish it in my mouth. The finish sports some chalky tannin but very astutely. This is the second bottle of Ladd Pinot I have opened from my Berserker Day purchase back in January. Based on this bottle I’m getting in line when Eric puts his BerserkerDay VIII offer out. Well done!
    image.jpg

Posted from CellarTracker

Rat, nice job. And of all the producers you could pick, you selected Ladd, which is Eric Lundblad, who has supported Falltacular and through it, the Laura’s House charity for the last many years. I think a lot of Eric, thank you for tying the loop!

Will take more, just keep drinking them and posting!

Well twist my freaking arm! When I told my Wife what you were doing she said, “I have that bottle of Pinot that Carol Hansel gave me.” Okie dokie, out comes the cork.

• 2013 Walter Hansel Winery Pinot Noir Cahill Lane - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/21/2016)
    Color on this wine is more transparent than the Ladd I popped earlier with a dark cranberry hue. The nose is forest floor, mulch, walking through the trees after a rainfall. Inviting and floral but tense at the same time. The more I swirl this I don’t want to call out TCA but there is a definite musty note to the nose. I swapped glasses and tried another whiff. It’s still there. Not off-putting but the seed has been planted in my mind. The palate is dark fruit, black cherry, focused but delicate in texture. A slight RRV cola note balanced out by some juicy acidity. The tannins are a touch bitter and there is a lot of tension in the finish. I would throw these in the back of the cellar for 4-5 years. This has the potential to be a real gem but needs time to soften up and mellow.
    image.jpg

Rat, did you change your shirt? I’m onto you.

Opened the Ladd last night but finished and wrote the note tonight! That counts right?

I’m lining them up for you this week. Fogline, Copain, Ancillary, Holdredge…

Ahh, the facts are clearer now. It counts! $20 so far, you may cause me to get a second job. [whistle.gif]

I have a half bottle of '07 Dehlinger Syrah Goldridge open or I’d be on here!

I love the banter between Frank and Brian

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. I better see a handsome photo of you this week with a TN! Add Jennifer to the photo, I will add another $5, making it worth $15. Only for you, Frenchie Poo.

2015 Wilde Farm Wines Pinot Noir Donnelly Creek Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/21/2016)
One night after the Wilde Farm Bedrock, I decided to try the Pinot Noir. What struck me most about this bottle was the rich red raspberry fruit and the bright yet supple texture. It’s not as aggressively tart as some wines made by Pax Mahle, but it has a core of acidity that anchors the wine. There is good fruit density, so mid-term aging should be beneficial, adding nuance and complexity to what is right now a promising but unevolved wine. I look forward to trying this again in 3-5 years.

I have tasting notes for these from Saturday, I want in your wallet! LOL

All the peeps are berserkers.

Sean Jerry/Rob, Frank/Jerry, and Francine.

Bright sweet cherry and red berry flavors. Simple and fruit forward. More along the crowd pleaser profile versus WS single vineyard wines which can be spectacular.

IMAG2229.jpg
IMAG2230.jpg
IMAG2225.jpg
IMAG2226.jpg
IMAG2227.jpg
IMAG2231.jpg

oh that’s a GUARANTEE!

Sorry I couldn’t make it this weekend - had a Nutcracker performance in Anaheim to attend (the woes of a dancer in the house)

I didn’t know you danced, that’s cool.

I’ll match that $15 if Jennifer is in the pic! I need to see love in the eyes, tho.

2013 Goodfellow Family Cellers “Whistling Ridge Vineyard” - What good Cote Rotie would be if it was made from Pinot. And I like that.
As posted elsewhere - apologize for the rotation issue. Having user error issues tonight.
IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG
Zepaltas Pinot Noir Suacci Vineyard 2012

13.1% alcohol. Stem and wild berries on the nose. Cranberry, tart cherry and cherry skin kick this off. The second act is orange and orange peel, and the wine concludes with hints of mineral and pine, and a medium-long citrus finish. It has no discernible signature of oak that I can find, even at a relatively young age. Although this is from the Sonoma Coast, this reminds me stylistically of Navarro, Kendric, Briceland and Patricia Green (none of which are from Sonoma, I realize). It seems like a perfect wine for the Thanksgiving dinner table.

I bought Zepaltas in its early years, early and mid 2000s, and I recall the wines were on the big, dark and ripe side back then. They were good, though I didn’t stick with them after a few years. I recall reading that Ryan shifted into the AFWE camp, and this is certainly pretty far into that direction, even from a ripe vintage like 2012. Yet it doesn’t lack fruit, nor is it only something wine snobs would appreciate, though I think it will make more friends at the dinner table than before and after the meal.

A nice and interesting wine. I would have liked it more if a spice dimension had been present; the wine seems to want that towards the finish, but I couldn’t quite find it. I would say at its normal $50 tariff, the value proposition is on the weaker side though not bad either for fans of the style, but I was fortunate to get these on a great closeout deal.

I wonder how this wine would age. It has good acids, and it seems capable of developing more complexity and of integrating the stems better, but the fruit is to the moderate side and I wonder if it would hold up. My guess is that this can still improve for at least a few years and have a good run after that. Someone like Frank would like this best at around its current age, though.

Hi Frank. Dana made scallops for dinner so lucky timing on opening this. 2008 Ladd Cellars RRV PN. PnP and ready to go out of the bottle. Great balance and lively red fruit. Very nice bottle. Thanks Eric!
1479786818012-178058105.jpg

god, what a thread. Stoneking doing a photo, then Counselor Seiber in the mirror, and JP, it’s great to meet you–thanks for coming aboard. Frenchie, comb your damn hair before you take the photo. Alf and I don’t pay with your dome all messed up.

Chris, is that a bottle of wine or are you just happy to see me?

I’m a Sugar Plum Fairy, baby.

So, by ‘love in the eyes’, does that mean love for me…or for the wine? One is infinitely more challenging

TN: Regale Winery and Vineyards, 2013 Andersen Valley Pinot Noir, $54

Cherries, Strawberries, pepper and even a little sweet leather on the nose. Beautiful translucent burgundy color in the glass. Light body. Lush mouth feel. Med/low acidity, Cherrys and strawberries and then fine tanins. Med/long finish, wife finds the tannins strong, I think they’re pretty darn good and well integrated, very fine which goes nicely with the lush mouth feel. Its a solid example of nice small batch california pinot. Its a very good wine but not high on the QPR scale.

We used to frequent this place a lot for picnics. Its only a couple miles down the street with great views of the mountains down to Santa Cruz. Been rotating wine clubs and trying to sample the 60+ wineries in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Pic of Me and the Wine:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7NLM63CFpadblZHRjZqY05qWTZRanpwMnZFMGhuSXRrZFJj/view?usp=sharing

Pic of JJ the Cat who came to visit as I was writing this.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7NLM63CFpadMV9WcFFVbWdWQXVrNEVZSUp1QUhyVzhneHJF/view?usp=sharing

Laura’s House sounds like a fantastic charity and my wife agreed as she took the picture. champagne.gif