Two New Ridge Cabernets....

The “Historic Vines” and “Steep Terraces” Cabernets are scheduled for a Nov release.
Quantities will be very limited.
Tom

The old vines at Monte Bello are cared for by Dave Gates. They could not be in better hands.

I am waiting anxiously for these. I assume they will be priced like Monte Bello.

Oh damn

HA. I’m guessing more!

I am very grateful for your post, Tom!

The information contained seems to challenge some of the things that I have read elsewhere.

On one side, I have read that the diminished yields of older Cabernet Sauvignon vines argues for the replanting of vineyards every 20-30 years. On the other, I have a faint recollection that Cabernet Sauvignon, and perhaps a handful of other varieties (Petite Sirah comes to mind), do not live as long as Zinfandel, several Rhône grapes, and Riesling (among others).

The Ridge statement appears to be a little murky as well. On one hand, it mentions, “many of the Monte Bello Cabernet Sauvignon vines are very old and may not be around for too much longer.”

A few lines down, I read, “I think we’ll be able to keep the vines going at least another 20 years and possibly make future bottlings of these two excellent vineyard blocks.”

Australia and South America boast a few 100+ year-old Cab Sauv vineyards.

My question is: what is the maximum biological age potential for Cabernet Sauvignon vines?

FWIW, the yields on the William Short (Historic Vines) block are extremely low. In 2013, they only yielded 0.5 Ton per acre. In 20 years, the vines will be 87 years old. Sooner or later, it will be uneconomical to farm the 4 acres.

Just got this offer. They sound like they’re extremely limited (128 and 191 cases). With the membership discount, the price seems healthy but not insane. The descriptions sound intense!

$175/btl, right?

12.6 and 12.7 alch

Yes

As a member, they’re $157.50. Still a big price, but…

Damn.

Wish I was on the list.

Look interesting…bad timing for me financially for $160 dollar bottles. Damn…

I dunno… those prices are a little Steep for me.

You’re right, they give you this discount at the time of checkout. Sounds intriguing, but with two kids in college its likely a pass at that price.

I couldn’t help myself and just ordered 2 of each. It will be fun to do a side by side in about 20 years.

Seem like they will be very nice wines.

I bit. I didn’t want to but then I realized I would be kicking myself for missing this chance. I love Ridge. Schlepped some older bottles of Monte Bello half way around the world for my honeymoon and it was completely worth it. I know that while these are expensive, I would probably end up paying far more years from now to own a bottle.

I jumped too. Even though they’re basically twice the price of MB futures. I’m maxed out on my MB futures too. Ridge is gold. And somehow immune to the excesses of Napa. Thank god for Paul Draper.

2 Monte Bellos for the same price of one of these? I’m going to pass