Glass enclosed wine wall/cellar

I know there are a lot of cellar threads, but didn’t see anything on this.

Has anyone installed or looked into a cellar cooled glass enclosed wine wall. Something sort of like this:

Basically single deep racking enclosed with glass with multiple doors to access and a cooling unit.

Is the glass UV protected/tinted?

I think you would need it to be, + high R value and insulated wall behind etc.

But it looks like there are quite a few examples of it being done… Just looking to see if anyone has direct experience.

Very nice !

I built something very similar under our staircase. highly recommend getting UV resistant glass or diode glass that you can make light proof when required.

I also have shades to protect the glass/ wine for the summer days where a lot of light enters.

Best of luck, glass cellars look amazing!

I am also looking to do something like that in my new place (getting the keys today so wish me luck!).

Does anyone have a general guesstimate of how much something like that would cost? I am thinking around $4K but I am probably way too low…

I have a cellar with a glass door and and wall that is solid on the bottom and glass on the top. I started to plan something with a full glass wall and ended up with that as the best option. I’ll post a picture later. The contractor got good double paned glass of some kind with good R value and it’s been great, no issues (although my basement is already 66-69 degrees naturally, so not a huge temp difference to the cellar.

Contact David Niederauer

TTT

Done correctly at another 0 to your estimate.

They always look good in staged photos but I wonder if here in Texas or Florida if the glass would sweat?

That pic looks like shower glass. I looked into that, but went with a local guy to make a couple big double pane windows to use on my cellar (see avatar). The problem with shower (single pane) glass is that it will sweat if there is a lot of humidity in the air. My glass was pretty cheap. The smaller side glass piece was $300 and the bigger, front glass piece was $600ish.

Yeah, that’s probably closer to the real number. We’re in the final stages of a huge new build constriction project and I’m installing a fairly large glass front wine wall that looks similar to the OP (my “1 thing”…everything else is pretty much what my wife wants). It will hold 1,000+ bottles and is going to cost right around $30k all-in.

I’ll definitely post pictures when it’s all done…which will hopefully be late November.

The picture in the original post looks like single pane shower glass in a passive cellar. I don’t believe there is a way to achieve the “seamless” look as you need double pane and weather stripping in an active cellar.

My neighbor has a cooler similar to the OP’s photo on his stair landing, but instead of a completely custom solution, he bought a double doored cooler and had it inserted into the wall. All in, I think it was under $5000
Our builder left a cavity on the landing for such a purpose, so that helped a lot.

Here’s another example:

looks to me like there’s active cooling. No idea if it works well, it is just the sort of solution that may work very well in our new basement where I may get a wall, but probably not a full cellar space.

Mine has active cooling - commercial, ducted unit.

Is it going to be the most efficient thing in the world? Nope, definitely not. But it was the best use of space for us and will certainly get the job done…while also being a focal point of our dining room area.

And fyi, if you’re going with 100% peg system…the racking is very, very expensive. We did a combo of that and other metal racking as well.

Does anyone by any chance live in the San Diego/SoCal area that would know of someone reliable to use?

A friend of mine has one. Racking is triple deep. I can ask who made it.
image.jpeg

These remind me of people wearing clear clothing.