Henri Bonneau has passed

I just saw a thread started by RMP that Henri Bonneau has passed away. I thought I’d share that news here as he was a true legend and has crafted some of the finest wines I’ve had the pleasure of tasting.

Crazy.

Sad to hear. I’ve been very lucky to taste a lot of great wine in my life, but his are on the short list that have always eluded me. Looks like it will be time to make a special hunt for a bottle.

I wonder if there’s any successor in place?

we recently had the 89 celestins during la paulee weekend. a stunning bottle. rip sir.

I was recently talking with John Junguenet (who’s family imports Bonneau) about people exactly like Henri in this business. As immortal as we like to hope they are, they are unfortunately not.

I never met him, but he must have been a great man just for being able to make a wine that both Mark Golodetz and I agreed upon. Nothing like a great wine at a football tailgate party in the parking lot:

I was at a conference in Olympic Valley, CA with a bottle of 2003 Marie Beurrier which I wanted a mentor of mine to try. She’s the kind of person who picnics with the right oyster fork. I decanted it 5 hours, and when I reached the venue, they’d set us up at a table with…red plastic cups.

Panicked, I was inspired: I excused myself and I ran the 1/2 mile to Plumpjack’s. I asked to speak to the somm, and explained, panting, “2003 Henri Bonneau…decanted…red cups,” and he immediately handed me the proper stemware. I ran back, we had the wine while watching the sunset, all was saved.

I’m not sure of any successor, or even what would happen to the wines that are still in barrel. His wines really were so unique, the few I’ve had have been nothing short of monumental. The 1998 Celestins about three weeks ago was stunning, with a very long life ahead.

RIP. What wonderful wines.

Very sad.

I tried to visit his cellar - but was never successful.
However I met him behind his house by accident, we talked about the weather and everything, but not about his wines.

I have made two comprehensive tastings with his wines - great and individual wines indeed …
There will certainly be no substitute - and I doubt any successor.

RIP

I thought there was a succession in place to his son?

RIP Monsieur Bonneau.

There may be, I really wasn’t sure. I hope there is!

He has a son, Marcel I think, but many people I spoke with did not think he is capable of doing anything on his own …
I once overheard somebody mentioning Jerome Bressy (Gourt de Mautens) should take over …

GOD help - NO!

I believe his nephews are at Clos des Brusquieres. While nowhere near the level of Bonneau they’re competently made traditional Chateauneufs.

Chapeau.

I haven’t participated in many off-lines but my first was by far the best - a Bonneau wine dinner organized, if I recall correctly, by Brad Coelho at Tribeca Grill some 8 or 9 years ago. It was one of the most memorable evenings of wine I’ve had, the highlight being a singular bottle of the 1990 Cuvee Speciale which was brought by Chris Kravitz and which was absolutely head-shakingly good.

My palate’s shifted away from CdP somewhat but Monsieur Bonneau’s wines are still at the top of the tree for me. A sad day, in many respects. RIP.

RIP Henri…wonderful wines! Hope somebody knows what to do with all those barrels.

RIP. A great winemaker.

This is a disaster to me. He obviously was a one of a kind legend and he made some absolutely amazing wines with passion and in a unique and owned style.
Along with Jacques Reynaud he had Probably had the most influence on my outlook on how to be a winemaker and I will miss him terribly. A few years ago we visited him and I am so glad we did. It was an unforgettable time…the kind that are not easy to come by. I have a photo of Henri, Philippe Cambie and me hanging in our winery. If I can figure out how to do it (doubtful) I will post it here.
He will forever remain an inspiration… and that '89 Celestine my friend E.Z. once gave me remains plastered in my brain. If they do swig wine in heaven, then I know why they couldn’t wait any longer to get him there.
Thank you Henri and RIP.
Manfred