Why so many bright cellars?

I may be overreacting when it comes to this issue, but I’ve always wondered why so many people seem to have brightly lit cellars. I understand that the lights are probably off when no one’s in the cellar, but I can’t help but feel most of the lights I see are too bright. Thoughts?

Cuz we are hold and need the help reading labels?

where do you see all these bright cellars? i’m curious myself. it could be an issue, especially in the context of cork taint.

no one leaves the lights on in their cellars

Well, Mark…I guess that’d have to rank right up there in my concerns w/ the Impact of the Higgs’ Bosun on WesternCivilization!!! [snort.gif]

By now…you should know my thoughts on various things that damage wines. Bright lights, that are on only occasionally, are not going to have
an effect on the wine, nor cause any significant heating of the wine.
Tom

I’m happy to help out, mark.

Here’s how mine looks right now:

I’ve also wondered why my fridge is so bright whenever I open the door.

You think that’s bright, you should see my camera when I take pictures at night.

This. Also, anyone smart will be using low-heat lights like LEDs/CFLs, not incandescents. (My LED GU10 lights are so cool I can rest my hand on them.)

this thread will evolve into the wine version of Schrödinger’s cat

Typically, lights may be turned on and off at the owner’s discretion. Yes, shocking, I know.

JD

This, my cellar love guts produce no heat, the only part of the bottle exposed is the cork and neck. If 10 min of light/wk affects your wine so be it, I like to see what I have.

[rofl.gif]

I can’t help but feel most of the lights I see are too bright.

For what?

Is there some science showing that the lights are going to ruin the wine somehow? And by science I mean measurable, verifiable, replicable, damaging effects from various cellar lights, not some writer or blogger repeating what he’s read by some other writer or blogger.

BTW, is that why you’re wearing sunglasses in your pic? You may want to be checked for photophobia.

I always figured Mark B was just Corey Hart trying to keep it incognito.

Says the man with no profile picture…

[snort.gif]

But your profile picture isn’t of you, it is Jason Schwartzman …

I thought it was Adrian Brody taking some of his wine out to work on its tan.

The main cellar has a halogen bulb while the smaller section under the stairs has LED. The halogens are bright but they are only on for a few minutes a day so I do not worry about light damage to the wine or the temp.

The lights are on a motion sensor with a timer. The timer is currently set to five minutes but I need to lower it since as soon as I leave the cellar the lights can go off.

In what way do you see the brightness of the light connected to cork taint?