How you doing on your CT organization?

I’ve heard the common refrain that people are pretty good about entering things into CT, but often not so good about making the entries when things come out. I’d echo this, although where it gets really bad are the “good but not long term cellaring” wines that I buy in bulk. Bedrock Zin, for example, is the worst. This gets entered into CT because it comes with the rest of Bedrock, but I’ll pull bottles without thinking about it. CT currently thinks I’ve got 9, but I’m pretty sure I’ve got 2 or less. I also just deleted nearly 20 Lulu Roses and Abrente Albarino’s that I’m quite sure aren’t there. Any blind spots in your cellar you’re aware of?

My wife has a pile of daily drinkers and I don’t even bother tracking them.

When it gets low we just more, no worries.

it happens but I try to keep consumed bottles in the cellar overnight versus straight to the trash…the next day or so when I go get them to take to the trash it reminds me I need to enter it in CT

+1

But consumption tracking is not my biggest problem. I am waaaay behind in organizing my wine to make it possible to actually find a specific bottle. My off-site storage is great but encourages laziness in actually tracking where in the storage the actual bottles are located.

[help.gif]

Maybe I’ll start reconciling things tomorrow.

I use my Delectable app to see what I drank for the week and remove the wines from cellartracker that way if I don’t take them off as I drink them.

I’ve never really had any problems tracking. There have been a few stray bottles that I thought I drank the last one…only to find one more in another box. However, for the most part…I’m on CT daily. So everything gets put in…and taken out.

I found the best way to keep track of outgoings, is to write a TN, as you’ll do both things at the same time.

If only Delectable and CT were linked so when you post on the former it would also remove the bottle from the latter!

I have a special slot location designation for every bottle in the cellar. I periodically download the CT database, find all the locations which have two bottles in the same place, check to see that we have not moved to an alternate universe, and then delete the bottle that is no longer there. I have so few empty slots in the cellar that they do not make a material difference.

Thanks for reminding me. I think I’ll reload slots with the Spring shipments and clean out the database tonight.

I’m usually on top of it. If we have a social gathering of some sort, we leave the bottles in the kitchen overnight and then I update CT in the morning. Where we get into trouble is when my wife has a bottle on a weeknight and forgets to send me a picture so I can update CT.

That’s the tripping point for me. If I pull a bottle and 6:00 and I don’t log it out of CT, the odds I’m going to remember at 10:00 to go back, mark it out of storage and write a note, is just way too small. I really have to mark it out of CT when I pull the bottle to have much chance to keep accurate, and even still, I have plenty of bottles listed on CT that I drank already.

The one slightly redeeming thing is to look at your storage list and find bins that have 3 or 4 (since my bins are two deep in my cabinets). Then you can remember, or if you don’t remember go find, what bottles need to be deleted from your inventory.

I am pretty good between home and the locker at keeping inventory. I am moving to a larger locker and in the process I am hoping to number each box and assign bottles in CT to the box. It’ll be upfront work and I’ll be freezing by the time I am done. I also want to toss the variety of case boxes and just get one kind. And I hope to get mag six packs and store those bots on the side. I’ll do a little sorting of shelves like white burgs on this shelf and red on that etc… but won’t get to carried away. Those damn odd size bottles are usually the pain.

I put everything in CT and assign it to a specific slot in the cellar. In fact, it is the only way I know what I have. When the cellar was finished, I decided it wasn’t worth trying to keep wines grouped by winery, varietal, etc. They just go where there is an empty space. Every bottle is barcoded and I scan it with my iPhone when I take one out. That means browsing through the cellar is done via CT rather than looking at bottles. It works well for me.

I found a magnum of Liquid Farm Pink the other day in my cellar. I had no idea it was there!

And I’m completely OCD about making sure my inventory is managed perfectly.

I log everything into CT when purchases are made and then reconcile the purchases on delivery. When consumed I put the bottles aside and log them the next day. But someone in this house from time to time takes the bottles and throws them in recycling and I can be found fishing in the alley bin to figure out what it was!! Arghhh…so their is a OCD-ness about it!!! I am sure I have missed some…

I will not log bulk purchases and their consumption for large parties usually acquired at the local Binny’s.

Just got a new cellar (turns out you guys were right… Always buy bigger) and now everything is perfectly entered… We’ll see how long it lasts :slight_smile:

I have been bad for the last few years with pending deliveries. Pretty much go by the honor system with vendors. I do print out the recipe but just cram those in a drawer. Takes me about a month to get around to entering and putting away wine when onsite.
But my biggest problem is doing inventory on existing. About 5% of the time when going for a wine there is some confusion in finding wine. Most of the time I will find it near where it was marked but occasionally will not find it at all - presuming it has been drunk. A lot of my cellar is accessed from a ladder so the idea of the job is not enticing and is definitely a 2 man venture. One of these days I will invest in the scanner system…

I’ve been a bad bad boy! I haven’t made a meaningful adjustment to my inventory in 8 months and that includes a CC sell-off. Mine count is so off I’m not even checking CT tos ee what i have or where I have it. 1st world problem.

This has been part of my problem as I have gotten very lax on writing notes.

It easy to keep on track. I just post stuff I’ve done soon after it happens. All purchases, tasting notes or consumption deletions are made same evening or day later at most. If you only have 200 btls it matters little. I have between 950 -1050 blts at anytime and want to know exactly where I’m at and what I’ve got. I pay to use CT and I use it.