TN: 2007 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos

• 2007 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (3/20/2015)
    Poxed! Definitely more advanced than my last bottle…and more sherry than it should be at this age. BUT….to me, not not drinkable! Yes it has nutty sherry, baked apple, dried honey……but it started to drink like a still Krug for me! Still has crisp citrus and crunchy salty minerals….and at times some pretty tasty chalk, florals, green apple, and sea air? Nose is all sherry…but the palate is pleasing….in a Krug style way! Not a total loss…but not really what I want. NR (flawed)

Posted from CellarTracker

So….the bottle I had was a European bottle right? Back label is in French, green sticker on top of foil? I have another bottle which is grey market right? Is there any correlation with pox on the two?

ugh. I’ve yet to find a Louis Michel chablis that is pox’d but I only started with his in 2007. I still have 2008s in the cellar so we’ll have to see. I don’t buy Fevre, thankfully.

Funny Frank…almost pulled a 07 Louis Michel Clos…but went with the Fevre instead! I’m with you…ALL the Louis Michels have been fresh as daisies!!
[cheers.gif]

Frank,

I had an oxidized 2008 Montée de Tonnerre last summer. Than again, a 2008 Les Clos opened soon after was fine and still on the youthful side so who knows.

pileon or [scratch.gif] This premox stuff is nuts.

Sorry for the drift, but I have a lone bottle of '06 Dauvissat Les Clos that I want to save but feel like I should drink due to the risk of premox. I think at this stage the wine should be shot if it’s shot but fine otherwise, so I might as well save it for a while. What say you?

To the OP, sorry your bottle was off. Premox sucks.

I had about 6 bottles of pox’d Louis Michel Forest 2007 from a full case (bought from envoyer) They were opened as soon as Envoyer shipped them to me. Probably early 2010 or so. But overall my premox rate for LM and Chablis in general is very low.

I’ve had some 2007 Fevre Preuses that were borderline. Arrggghhh!

Yup. And it just sucks. I love Chablis but I’m not into aging it anymore.

Brought a 2009 Fevre Preuses to a dinner a few weeks ago…and due to previous poxed bottles of Fevre, I brought a backup bottle almost expecting it would be needed. Luckily, the Preuses was on and showed nicely, if not still very youthful.

(of course, the backup was still opened…which happened to be a 2012 Carlisle Gruner Veltliner that most certainly did not suck)

Anyway, if I’m buying Chablis nowadays it’s mainly to drink right away. A recent bottle of 2012 Droin Vaudésir that was completely delicious only reinforces this decision.

[cheers.gif]

Buzz, pour this crap out and please go open a Louis Michel and tell us what you find. Les Clos please. [whistle.gif]

Pox has nothing to do with who imports it and from where or when. Don’t like the three tier system trick you

there is premoxed wine sitting in the cellars of the producers.

Yes there is.

No…love this Krug! :stuck_out_tongue: Swear…it tastes just like the MV Krug I just had…without the bubbles!

A 07 Fevre Preuses a few months ago was grand!

Guys…what about those two different bottles??? I believe the great Preuses and my last Clos, which was great as well, were grey market wines?

Brian, that’s so disappointing.

I’m a big fan of Fevre and love their '07s, '08s and '10s, up and down the ranges. I’ve been lucky not to strike any premox (I think) from those vintages. Those are great years and the GCs should all be compelling wines. In fact I’m planning on backfilling a few of these …

On the other hand, Brad, I’ve not typically found 2006s so good, not rating it as highly as the other three vintages. I’ve very recently had '06 Fevre Les Clos and '06 Dauvissat Preuses which I enjoyed as Chardonnays, but was a bit disappointed by the lack of Chablis typicity. As an '06, I’d probably drink your Les Clos fairly soon, but I don’t think holding for a few years will materially increase your premox risk (if it’s there, it’ll probably be ‘baked in’ by this stage, as you say).

Please report back if you do try it.

Cheers, Howard

Brian, both those bottles look grey market. The premier cru imported bottles looks like it came out of Denmark.

I’m four bottles into the 6 bottles of Fevre les Lys I bought recently. All pristine. All diam cork.

I don’t buy fevre to age anymore, just “lesser” wines to drink on the younger side. this 2007 is older than I’d usually go for.

With regard to Brad’s concern about the Dauvissat, I’ve had very few premixed Dauvissat from 2004 on. that being said 2006 is one of my least favorite vintages in recent times. I would agree with drinking at least some of your les Clos up. (although drinking up only some of your lone bottle may be a bit of a challenge)

Why does the other one look grey market? No warning stickers?

It’s not in English. If it was through three tier in the US it’d have an English back label

Had a 2007 Fevre Preuses a couple of weeks ago that was premox (somebody else might have called it borderline, but I would say the trend was unmistakable).