birth year 1981 choices

81 is the year for both the wife and I… If you had $100 to spend would you go with a BV Georges de Latour or Lynch Bages?

Domaine de chevalier (red)

'81 was a sleeper vintage in Bordeaux - and with 1982 obviously overshadowing it - they can still be bargains. La Mission Haut-Brion was one of the stars, but the Haut-Medoc kicked out some pretty nice wines. As long as the provenance is very good, you should have good luck with most of the respected labels.

And if you are a Burgundy fan, Faiveley nailed it in 1981, so if you do run into anything of note, very well worth trying - even the little wines.

And I think most of the top Napa producers did very well in '81.

Lopez De Heredia’s gran riserva’s from 1981 are great, although they are getting harder to find under $150. But they are probably just entering their prime and may even improve over the next 20 years or so.

Picked up some 81 Rieussec for $70 and 81 Graurad Larose for $80 on winebid… (for a friend)
not sure if they’re good but always fun to drink birth year wines with people.

1981 Beaucastel is great, maybe a little more than your budget. Between the 2 wines you list, I’d be more interested in the Lynch Bages, but I have an old world palate. Either should be nice!

I haven’t had the 81 Gruaud Larose in many years, but it was a standout in the vintage.

81 Ridge Monte Bello was very nice about 5 years ago and should be still drinking well but not likely to be found at $100. If you have a line on the Lynch Bages for $100 I would go for it.

+1 for that wine. Delicious and in prime drinking territory.

Really? awesome! plan to pop it in 5 months… :slight_smile: CT says it’s drinking window ended in 2006… so i was a bit concerned, but figured what the heck… it’s fun even if it’s faded a bit…

I was just going to say the same thing - as was the '81 Talbot from the same firm.

AND - As someone has previously mentioned, 1981 was a terrific vintage in Spain, and still quite a bit of Reservas out there -

Had the '81 Lynch Bages a couple of months ago and it was showing really well.

Yes!

Some of the best wines I’ve had have been decades past their drinking window. If stored properly it should be at least very good.

Amen!

Wholeheartedly recommend all 3 of the '81 RLdH GRs, but the Bosconia is the most stellar of the group. However, based on the last bottle of '81 Tondonia Blanco, it’s starting to give the Bosconia a run for it’s money. (yes, I know, I’m comparing a red and a white, but you get the point…)

Michael

I’m also a 1981er… I’ve had the Beaucastel, Lopez de Heredia, Montelena, various Diamond Creeks & Spring Mountain

The Beaucastel I had was brett-ridden, so that is one thing to be cautious of.

I’d pay the additional $50 for the LdH.

Or, Hart Davis Hart has some others of interest:

Brane-Cantenac
Château Talbot
Chateau Montelena
Phelps Magnum

Had an '81 Yquem that, despite not having a great reputation, was really lovely.

A lighter botrytis year, but perhaps better for it.

Beaucastel. LdH. Champagne. Bordeaux. Top cali cabs. All good and reasonably priced.

The Beaucastel does not suck.

Im a 1981 birth year and did a bunch around my 30th. The Lopez de Heredia Gran Riserva was outstanding. I also really enjoyed an 81 Grauad Larose and an 81 Heitz (cant remember the exact vineyard) i also had many that were way over the hill. All about storage obviously but i did fairly well and bought most on winebid.

Oh yes, an 81 Montelena was also outstanding and showed incredibly well