Aurelio Settimo Barolo

Any thoughts or note on the 2008 Barolo ? Not much on CT. Just saw the WS note and while the score sounds high it sounds pretty attractive for $35 for a base Barolo.

Cheers
Fred

I love this producer…quite traditional. Great value

I actually just tasted this at a trade tasting on Monday. Very nice and traditional, though be warned, the tannins are massive. I would be waiting a while for age to mellow the wine a bit. $35 is quite a good price for the quality level IMO. IIRC it come out around $50-$60 here.

Had a 1982 Vigna Rocche over the weekend. Was in great shape.

Thanks folks for the input

Cheers

His Rocche is a good QPR expression of one of the better and most underrated vineyards of Barolo, if rather rustic. Have not tasted the recent vintages nor the Barolo non cru.

Anybody tried his Dolcetto recently?

Her, not his.

Ooops. Not familiar with the family, only passing knowledge of the wines. There must have been one or more generational changes, Aurelio is certainly a male name…
(Or is it a case of Italians’ weird habit of placing names in the “wrong” order, I say wrong because there’s no consistency and one cannot always discern which is a family name and which a given. Settimo seems more a family name, and would be male in any case.)

Aurelio is no more. His daughter Tiziana is in charge. She is a fantastic lady and a very gracious host. The wines are fabulous and still reasonably priced. Probably not going to stay that way for long, though, now that we are talking about it here :slight_smile:

Thanks Tvrtko C. for the nice words and don’t worry: even if you speak about our good-relashionship between quality/price I’ll try to maintain this philosophy as longer as I can…

Cara Tiziana, grazie per la tua gentilissima risposta e, soprattutto, complimenti per il grandissimo lavoro che svolgete! Mi auguro di poter ripassare da voi abbastanza presto, forse in aprile. Keep up the great work!

Benvenuta qua da noi matti e/o cognoscenti Tiziana. Bello vedere un produttore, o in questo caso produttrice italiana partecipare, e con delle buone notizie.

Welcome here among us crazies and/or connoisseurs Tiziana. Nice to see a producer, female in this case participate, bringing good news.

By chance I was about to open a bottle of your Dolcetto, 2012 or '13, for dinner tonight, then at the end decided for a different type of wine.

Would be nice to see more producers from the old continent pitch in with their perspective occasionally. (Insiders joke: Don’t let bombastic quarrelsome NYC lawyers discourage you, if they should rear their unseemly heads…)

My tasting note from 2010 on the 1999 Riserva Rocche:

Predictably very young, but excellent potential here. After a vigorous splash decant and several hours of air time this beast hits the point of drinkability…if you don’t mind some ripping tannins with your gorgeous Barolo profile of tar, black cherries and floral nose. A wonderful wine that requires another 10 years still and will drink well for many years after that…quite a keeper, this one!

Oh yes. This is an absolutely fabulous wine. Have a couple of bottles stashed away, trying to keep my mitts off.

Tvrtko,

what is your impression of the 2006 Rocche, if you have had it?

Benvenuta, Tiziana! E’ un piacere vederti qui.

I had the Riserva Rocche 1999 about a year ago and enjoyed it. But I confess I was expecting more from a 1999, no wow factor - still too young perhaps?
I was much more impressed by the 2004, which Tiziana was pouring here in Bern one and a half years ago. I haven’t tried the 2006.

Ciao, Geir! I tasted the 2006 Rocche some years ago and loved it (bought some as a result), but it’s been while. Lately I’ve been busy working through my stash of the 2000, which I find is drinking wonderfully right now.

Other than that, I agree with Gilberto that the '04 is fantastic (keeping my hands away for the time being), but, unlike him, the '99 has never failed to wow me - it’s got everything I like about Barolo (too bad I didn’t quite buy enough at the time).

So many First-World problems to come to grips with :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Grazie Tvrtko, spero anch’io di rivederti presto in Aprile?? Buona giornata!

Grazie per il benvenuto! Concerning the Riserva Rocche 1999 about an year ago, I think still too Young… the 2006 Rocche too is right now really Young! You must come once in La Morra and try the wines together! Which are still available…friendly regards