Good Chianti (Tuscany) <$40 (or $50)?

I know as much about Tuscan wines as I know how to run a Fantasy Football team this season… (which is basically nothing) :frowning:

What are some favorites (producer/wines) that are reasonably priced, relatively easy to find, etc?

Headin’ down to Portland in a couple of weeks. Was hoping to find good mixed half case/case to try and learn more about the region from Vinopolis and/or Sec.

Thanks!

Edit: More Sangi/Chianti… not so much super tuscan pls

Felsina

… . Fontodi and Fonterutoli - the "three “f’s” of Chianti - you can never go wrong -

Any chianti from them? or specific ones? also classico? classico riserva (what’s the difference?)

there’s so many just from Felsina alone. [wow.gif]

Well under your price point but Monsanto CCR is my go-to.

I’ll add Montesecondo

I agree with Felsina and Fontodi. I’ll have to try Fonterutoli based on Mr. Keim’s post. I also like Castellare di Castellina which seem to be more modern in style.

You’re going to find a lot of Felsina and Fontodi lovers here. Both are great. If you’re looking for a good list of Chianti to get a real balanced experience, I’d recommend starting a little lower in the price scale than $40. At that price point you’ll either find very young Riserva wines in need of a lot of time (Felsina Rancia) or some heavily oaked Riservas. Here’s my go to list and I think you’ll fall between $20 - $35 on most of these.

First, stick with Chianti Classico going in. There are some really good wines around the Classico zone but it’s the best place to start.

Already mentioned and I couldn’t agree more:
Felsina Chianti Classico (straight riserva is amazing for the money)
Fontodi Chianti Classico (non-riserva)
Monsanto “Riserva” but approachable
Fonterutoli
Castellare di Castellina (non-riserva)

Some that haven’t been mentioned (or I didn’t see)
Isole e Olena
San Giusto a Rentennano
Castello dei Rampolla
Querciabella
San Felice Il Grigio

Petroio Classico and Riserva
Falchini
Toscolo
Fonterutoli
Antinori Badia Passignano

Already mentioned:
Felsina all levels

Plus whatever for Felsina.

I’d add Selvapiana Bucerchiale Riserva (<$30) (and second Monsanto Riserva (<$20)) to the others mentioned.

A big +1 for Petroio Classico and Riserva

I’d add Casa Emma Classico and Riserva (If you can find them)

I think all of my regulars have been named already. I’ll add Rodano ‘Viacosta’ ad Nipozzano as two others I like, although I’ve had fewer vintages of those vs. Felsina, Monsanto, Fontodi, etc.

First time anyone has ever recognized Petroio…nice!

The 2001 of this wine was outstanding, though it didn’t make old bones.

I think both Felsina’s and Fontodi’s basic Chianti Classico would be a great introduction to Chianti. It’s 100% Sangiovese and doesn’t see any new oak.

In the price range you’ve specified, I would also take a look at Montevertine’s Toscana bottling.

It isn’t labeled as Chianti, but Montevertine is in Radda, which is in the heart of Chianti and they broke away from Chianti back when the Chianti rules demanded some blending grapes to which they objected. Under the new rules, they would fit right in, but no longer have the desire to be labeled Chianti. It’s mostly Sangiovese blended with just a little Caniaolo and Colorino and raised in Slavonian Oak Casks. You can think of it as some of the best Chianti has to offer, but without the Chianti designation.

A Riserva that impressed me recently is 2010 San Giusto Rentennano’s Baroncole Chianti Riserva.

The 2004 was also terrific. I haven’t had recent vintages, but wouldn’t hesitate to give them a try.

Closer to your limit, but still below: Castello di Ama

Wines I had bought for many years but which I hesitate over now after the owner’s racist remarks.

While it falls into the IGT Toscana section due to it’s blend (60% Sangio, 30% Cab Sauv, & 10% Merlot), the La Massa IGT can be had for around 20 bucks and drinks wonderfully.