Good Chianti (Tuscany) <$40 (or $50)?

Another Tuscan Sangiovese to look at - Carmignano is a wine producing village a short drive from Florence - a couple wineries there really do a smashing job with Sangiovese - here is the producer that I love the most -

FATTORIA AMBRA - All of their Carmignanos are superb - especially the Santa Cristina bottlings - they really are a must try if you are looking to explore Tuscan Sangiovese -

Val delle Corti, Monteraponi, Caparsa, Monsanto, Castellinuzza, Just some of the first that come to mind. And for that money you can probably buy Montevertine either the Pian del Ciampolo or Montevertine

My favorites have already been mentioned, but I have to note that the Monsanto is a ridiculous bargain, and a wine I regularly recommend to non-wine geeks looking for something inexpensive but high quality. The Classico is routinely available for sub-$20, and occasionally can be found for $15 or $16 a bottle, which brings it down to big-event levels for a wine of real polish. Accessible, quaffable, and cheap. A triple threat.

Here is a few more good pruducers.Castell in Villa and il molino di grace, both their classico and riserva. [cheers.gif]

Good call on Ambra. Their entire range is good, but the Santa Cristina is a huge QPR. I think it’s around $12-13 locally.

Mark,

THE reference point for Chianti has to be Monsanto’s Il Poggio. May be a bit out of your price range, but that is da juice.

For cheaper stuff, I like Castello di Bossi’s Chianti Classico. I love Castell’in Villa and Castello di Ama Chianti Classico, but their riservas are a bit pricey.

Also, while I haven’t been able to get my hands on them, Cinciole has garnered high praise from Sangiovistas on this board.

Wow… so many suggestions… thanks guys! will go dig around and see what i can find. looking forward to exploring the region a bit…

2009 Castellare di Castellina Chianti Classico Riserva Vigna Il Poggiale … $32 at Total Wine.

Another vote for San Giusto, which has an almost Burgundy-like structure, with bright sour cherries and good acid. It’s less than $25, which is good QPR in my book. It’s 95% Sangiovese and 5% Canaiolo; no cab or anything to make it inky or extracted, and no small oak.

I see the 2011 is uncharacteristically high in alcohol, at almost 15%. I’ve liked it, but didn’t think it quite measured up to the 09 and 10.

Indeed. Chianti is my go-to QPR region especially for food friendly wines. Just so many great wines at very reasonable prices. Even the really cheap stuff (<$10) is often drinkable, labels like Querceto for $8.

Castello di Ama
Felsina
Fontodi
Giacomo Mori
Selvapiana

I am not quite as keen on the Fonterutoli as the other two “F’s”, Fontodi and Felsina. In contrast to statements in Asimov’s recent NY Times article on Chianti (check it out, however), the 2011 vintage is definitely a step down from the 2010 vintage.

The 2010 Isole e Olena Chianti Classico is a beautiful wine, strikingly aromatic for an entry level Chianti (still available for as little as about $23). The 2011 Felsina is a nice wine, especially for the $18 at Premier Cru, but doesn’t have the length or the layering of the 2010 Felsina, which needs some bottle age. Also, there is the 2010 Felsina Rancia, which is an excellent wine (see Ian d’Agata’s or Galloni’s notes on this one, which are spot on). The 2010 Rancia can be had for about $40, which makes it a much better value than the Brunellos costing considerably more (at least at this quality level). Even though still young, one gets some sense with the 2010 Felsina Rancia where this wine is headed (in contrast to the Felsina Chianti Classico of the same year).