Nacional Treasures

It has been the requirement of the person hosting Monday Table to finish with a Nacional for the past couple of years. Earlier in the year we half-jokingly discussed how great it would be to do a complete dinner serving Nacional all the way through. Big D stepped up to the plate and took on the challenge and last night we descended upon restaurant Ezard in Melbourne to drink a little more Vintage Port in one session than would be recommended by the surgeon general.

The food was a little slow to get going but was well chosen and worked beautifully with the Ports. The wines were brilliant. I can’t remember being at an event where there was such transparency and purity in every bracket. We were almost all unanimous in our ranking of the wines in each bracket and our strike rate at picking the vintages (served single blind) was extremely high.

We kicked off with an amuse of an oyster shooter with cucumber, apple and yuzu. It was never going to be a match for any fortified so Big D served a couple of nice Champagnes. The 2006 Drappier Grande Sandree Rosé was quite floral and had some juniper and sage herbal notes. It was rich and yeasty with good minerally detail and a very dry finish. A Krug Rosé begun smelling of spent fireworks, with its big sulphurous nose. It was quite meaty and had plenty of toast and grilled nut action. It breathed up really well and finished with a big lick of citrus.

Onto the event proper and a bracket of younger wines. The capillaries in my nose were starting to rise to the surface just in the anticipation of having to consume so much Port in a sitting. The 1997 Quinta do Noval Nacional was a black hole that swallowed light. Mark shone his iphone torch into the glass and the light was gobbled up and taken to another dimension. It had an interesting aroma with something that resembles crushed ants, kind of like the formic acid smell you sometimes see in Grange. It was very ripe with raspberry and Satsuma plum fruit and a strand of licorice weaving through the flavor profile. The 2003 Quinta do Noval Nacional is a wine marked by the hot vintage. It is very rich, ripe sweet and dense. There are some floral notes and a little volatility. It finishes with a light roasted note and was unanimously the least favoured wine of the bracket and probably the night. The 1996 Quinta do Noval Nacional was surprisingly good from an unheralded year. It was the most ready wine showing an ethereal floral perfume with whiffs of curry leaf and brown spices. Its fruit profile was fresh and juicy and it was nicely proportioned and balanced. There is very little chance of any of us being alive when the 2011 Quinta do Noval Nacional finally gets into stride but man is it one brilliant Port. It is a deep, vibrant purple colour. There’s almost a Northern Rhone passionfruit skins aroma at first and the fruit is so dense, bright and deep. It has gorgeous floral spirit and outrageously good definition and length is phenomenal. An accompanying dish of spiced quail, wilted greens, beetroot, cocoa, crisp onion rings and smoked beetroot sauce worked really well.

The excellent food pairings continued with twice cooked pork belly, pedro ximenez glaze, black pudding, apple and celeriac, five spiced salt and pepper. The 1985 Quinta do Noval Nacional was just lightly stripped by some tca but you could sense its innate quality. There were notes of raisins, curry leaf and biscuit and it had good depth and richness. The 1994 Quinta do Noval Nacional stood out like dog’s balls. We have seen this wine a few times over the years and it is always as black as the ace of spades. It is dense and deep, dripping with blood plums and laced with anise. It drinks like a delicious red wine and has all sorts of floral nuance. It needs several decades in the cellar still. The 1991 Quinta do Noval Nacional is complete and in a really nice place. It is fine and elegant, lightly floral and shows plenty of licorice flavor. It fills the mouth but is by no means heavy and leaves a delicious perfume once swallowed. The 1987 Quinta do Noval Nacional showed just a little spirit burn. It had some chocolate and wafer biscuit on the nose. In the mouth it was full of raisin fruit and was trimmed with a little flora.

The next bracket had a couple of beauties in it but was unfortunately marred by a badly corked 1983 Quinta do Noval Nacional. The 1970 Quinta do Noval Nacional was tight to begin with but unfurled in the glass. It had some curry leaf spice and dried flower aromas. It was soft and round with jube like fruit. Someone at the table mentioned it had some flavours that you sometimes see in Rayas. Well I guess Rayas can sometimes look a bit Porty why can’t Port look ‘Rayasy’? Most at the table thought the 1978 Quinta do Noval Nacional was the 70, it showed really well. It had really good depth and a delightful aroma laden with 5 spice powder. It had a fine, floral spirit and loads of licorice in the mouth. It was rich and luscious with good cut to the finish. The 1975 Quinta do Noval Nacional was relatively simple yet simply delicious. It was full of raisins and chocolate and had a light vein of spice. Black Angas beef, crispy potato, king brown mushrooms, roasted cauliflower puree, smoked marrow and native pepperberry was a splendid dish with the wines.

At this stage of the evening Anthony put me through the ‘Kristopher Kristofferson test’. If you can say his name without slurring you are deemed sober. I passed and was allowed to continue drinking. Lucky too, as one of the greatest wines ever made was coming up in this bracket. The 1964 Quinta do Noval Nacional was soft and gentle with some brown sugar development. It was gently spicy with clean, floral spirit and a raisin fruit profile. The 1963 Quinta do Noval Nacional should be on every wine lover’s bucket list, it is legendary. It pours out looking like a 10 year old wine. It is so ethereal and so complex with notes of blood plum, Asian spice, preserved cherry and licorice. It is dense, full and sweet with awesome power but is by no means heavy as it glides across the palate. It has a sensual, silky texture and really fans out on the finish possessing extraordinary length of flavour. If the 63 had not been at the table the 1960 Quinta do Noval Nacional would have probably been wine of the night, it was in scintillating form. It had an engaging scent of rose petals and was almost Burgundian in its perfume. It was complex and rich with some bitter chocolate and brown spice notes. It was rich and textured in the mouth with weightless power and awesome length. A simple cheese platter was all that was required to play with these three beautiful wines.

Just when we thought proceedings had closed Big D put one last glass of Port in front of us and said is this a Nacional? As you have to finish with a Nacional at Monday Table we collectively responded with ‘we bloody well hope so’. What a good bloke he is, finishing a Nacional dinner with a mystery Nacional and we enjoyed thoroughly the 1958 Quinta do Noval Nacional. It had a little adlehydic whiff to begin with but got better in the glass. It was spicy and loaded with flora and had some raisins and chocolate in the mouth. It was fine and lacy and finished quite clean with gentle spirit.

Cheers
Jeremy

Jeremy, thanks for taking the time to write such great notes. i’ll never taste these wines but I am way smarter after your post. Cheers.

Very nice.

Well done Jeremy. What a treat!

The 1960 Nacional is one of my favorite wines ever. It was supremely humbling - the vinous equal of discovering the complexity of a classical text.

Great stuff, Jeremy!!!

I think this would be the version of Nick Cage after all those Nacional Treasures…
nicolascage.jpg

That '63 was simply, mindbogglingly outstanding.

The only reason I could only give it 99pts and not 100pts is that you know it is still going to get even better…

The '60 and '78 were also absolutely fantastic, and the '11 will become something special in time.

Another great night, and it was good to see how well the VP’s worked with the food, some clever matching there.

Never Had a full VP night. But yours sounds great.

cris Krystooppphersohn.

Great line up. I am very jealous. We tried to do the same thing by buying a complete vertical of Nacional from 1960 to 2000 that was at auction, but someone else wanted it more than we did. I have only had the 1996, which was a great wine after a long decant, and I have a bottle of the 1985 waiting for an appropriate opportunity.

Do you have the decant times for the different vintages?

My note on the 1996

• 1996 Quinta do Noval Porto Vintage Nacional - Portugal, Douro, Porto (3/12/2013)
    Decanted at 9:30 pm the night before into a large open mouthed glass pitcher. Poured back into the bottle at 7 am the next morning. Carefully handled to removed all sediment in the double decant. Opened at the restaurant at 7 pm and drunk at about 9:30. Roy Hirsch gets credit for decanting instructions, which were spot on.

WOW. Absolutely wonderful and a candidate for wine of the decade. Still very primary in flavors but incredibly smooth and sexy with zero rough edges. The flavors are red fruit, cherry and plum, with a tiny bit of undifferentiated spice, hard to pinpoint. Occasional tiny bits of chocolate. No secondary caramel or nuttiness. Lacking complexity only because it is still a baby, but that’s what to expect. My other bottle will have to wait 10-20 years as the flavor profile morphs. Not too sweet, not syrupy in the mouth. Just a smooth, seamless taste experience.

I bought this bottle from “the Cellar” auction of Rosania bottles a few years ago. I bid because I have an original RMP book in which he said he had never seen, let alone tasted, a bottle. I got the impression he thought Nacional might be a myth so I had wanted to own one for 20+ years. This is the first bottle I have ever tasted and it was worth the price of admission. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice notes. Nacional’s are always fun to partake in. You obviously had some better showing bottles after 1970 and before 1994, very lucky of you. Though your notes do indicate they are advanced given their age and status. While nice and always fun to try, this period is when Noval went into a steep decline and IMO not worth spending the money for Nacional’s. As most are spirity (as you mentioned in at least one note) and already mature, past prime, or near there, and lacking in the normal top shelf product they should be. The 1970 Nacional is awesome but the regular bottling is already past best and this was the start of the decline of the Quinta. Family in-fighting of the Van Zellar family and other issues got to head when Cristiano started taking over when he was 22 years old, circa 1981. Then becoming full CEO in 1983. He did a good job, at least given the family drama still going on, but family issues persisted and they had to sale the Quinta in 1993. When AXA (lead by Christian Seely) took over in 1993 they set out to right the ship, and did so with the 1994 Nacional and regular. Both of which were top shelf again. They haven’t looked back and have returned the property and it’s Ports to it’s former glory.

The 1996 is pretty darn good, every bit as good as the 1997 IMO. I’ve had it on a number of occasions at the Quinta. Not often seen in retail or auction as I don’t think much was made. Of course, RMP only drinks Port if someone shoves it front of him at the end of some dinner. Not RMP bashing as this is the opinion of many a Port lover including me…the guy knows nothing about tasting Port. He’s never even set foot in the Douro, ever! So for him to say he’d never seen it says a lot.

Hi Jay, I’ll pose the question to Big D regarding decant times. I think most of the wines were double decanted a few hours before then we decanted them again just before serving.

Andy, the 75 was probably the weakest wine of the night but the 78 showed really well and I would have ranked it in a group just after the 63, 11 and 60.

Best Regards
Jeremy

1978 Wasn’t a bad year in the Douro, but after 1970, 1975, and then 1977 they hit their “3 in a decade” unwritten rule…which has since sorta changed recently. I’ve had quite a few different 1978’s and most are still showing nicely, albeit most are Single Quinta VP’s and as such weren’t blended in the same way as their full fledge VP brothers and are maturing faster.

As for 1975, it was a great year but for financial and political reasons there was 3 times as much VP made than had ever been made before. As a result the VP’s ended up being diluted and the quality suffered. It was something that had to be done to save the Douro farmers. That’s the short version anyways.

I love Nacional. It’s amazing how much more wine-like it is, so I can easily see drinking it all night long (although, the morning must be really, really rough).

The 63 is simply out of this world. I’ve had the good fortune of having it twice (and the 62, which is also crazy good). It’s one of those rare times where it’s worth the $$$ to have it at least once.

[quote=“Ian Dorin”]I love Nacional. It’s amazing how much more wine-like it is, so I can easily see drinking it all night long (although, the morning must be really, really rough).
quote]
[scratch.gif] You mean more Port like? I would be upset if it was wine-like LOL.

Funny as my Port loving friends and I can drink Port all night long, doing big tastings, and we get up just fine in the morning. What the issue stems from is Port is often the last wine served once people are ALREADY somewhat happy with their fill of other consumed wines/drinks. So by the time Port gets served and everyone has one glass then a hang over the next day, they blame it on the Port. What about the 15 glasses of wine had prior. Anyways, just a rant of mine [soap.gif]

I felt remarkably fresh the next day. If I had drunk the same amount of standard drinks with table wine I suspect I would have been quite seedy the next morning.

I agree and I am one of Andy’s port-loving friends [cheers.gif] .

(The Nick Cage photo was just a lame attempt at humour neener )

Cheers,
Blair

I looked like that photo of Nick Cage the morning after having dinner with you in Burgundy a couple of years ago Blair!

Like how everyone complains about Tequila??? neener

Let me clarify. The wine carries it’s sweetness, tannins and alcohol so well, and it’s incredibly graceful, so it comes off closer to a table wine than all other ports, at least to me.

I’m heading to an all port (well, Champagne is being served as an aperitif) night soon, and will report back the following morning, and hope I have the same results you do the morning after!