Photos of a new Wine Cellar Install

Hi there! First I wanted to say that I’m Kristi and I work with Wine Cellar Innovations which is a manufacturer of wine racks. Just a disclaimer :slight_smile: I wasn’t sure if this should go in Wine Talk but since this has a small portion of ‘pimp’ in it, I thought better safe then sorry…

Anyway, I’m sure there are many of you who are building your own wine storage areas in closets, kitchens, and other spots so I thought this would be a perfect place to post some of our technical wine installation photos to give some inspiration for your own builds at home. We have a Technical Tuesday wine cellar install weekly blog post and I thought you might appreciate the photos over here. If no one minds…

This is the technical drawing 2D version of what the home owner wanted:

And here we have the completed rack, just newly installed. The wood is All Heart Redwood and is unstained:

I love the diamond bins in the middle:

I’m doing a fun little Technical Tuesdays on our blog that goes over more detail of this particular wine cellar but it’s pretty sweet. It has a maximum of 1,184 bottles that includes the individual bottles, display bottles, and case storage. The archway is gorgeous with the tasting table and LED lighting as well.

Hope everyone doesn’t mind me chiming in :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to browsing through your own wine storage areas as well!

http://picasaweb.google.com/cellartracker1/Cellar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two stories? That’s awesome. I love waterfall racks. It makes the display so nice.

Kristi,

thanks for the pictures. Would you mind if I ask what would you charge for such an installation with app. 1,200 bottles
like the one you showed ?

Eric,
I am still awestruck, you have the Mercedes of wine cellars [dance-clap.gif]

Cheers
Christian

Christian, you are always welcome to come raid it!

It is on two levels, although that is more of an offshoot of some complex slope behind our house and the acceptable elevations and slopes for a driveway. Suffice it to say, this was the space I had, so as were pouring foundations anyways we just went deeper and made the most of it.

holy cow Eric…

Hey Christian,

I have one of those big fat ‘it depends’ answers. :slight_smile: I have a document that goes over sample rooms in 7 different styles and series of rackings that would give you a good MSRP comparison for each type of series and wood and also defines a per bottle cost. The prices basically range from $5,000 (our Designer Series) to over $70,000 for our Platinum Elaborate. (Those prices don’t include shipping, tax, or duty either as you are in Switzerland!) When you get custom you get to pick and choose though.

I’ll PM you for your email address to send the PDF. I would also welcome you to fill out our Design Request Form to get more info from our designers.

Welcome to the forum, Kristi. Your expertise will be appreciated here. We have a lot of drinkers, but not so many builders.

Too many open slots there, lad!! [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

but i do see a bunch of Angelus [thumbs-up.gif]

Bud, I have remedied that problem since the photo was taken.

Close, Jordan. Ducru Beaucaillou

LOL! Thanks Randy :slight_smile:

New picture update! [dance-clap.gif]

Thanks for all the private messages, guys! These are some beautiful cellars, I agree. Most of the requests were for the actual price of the cellar. What is it going to cost to build our dream cellar??? I will try to provide some averages in the future to appease the dreaming going on in your head. :slight_smile:

Today we had a new Technical Tuesday blog post about a residential wine cellar in South Carolina. Here are some purdy photos:

The entrance with a custom door:

With the door open to view the archway and granite tabletops:

Viewing the glass tile ceiling and WhisperKool:

Want to take a quick walkthrough? It’s dark but you can see how it’s laid out:

This whole cellar was done in Amber Blaze which is a form of mahogany and also included a dark walnut stain on the wood. The cellar houses a maximum of 889 wine bottles as well. Now, there was a lot of customization here. This cellar included a higher end wood (Redwood or Pine is more affordable), custom moldings, cabinetry, LED lighting, cooling, installation, and that custom door! The price was in the high teens for all of that. If you were thinking of creating your own, it ‘really depends’ on what you want inside and how that is reflected in the price. The customer loves the cellar though and it’s certainly gorgeous to look at!

Thanks for viewing :slight_smile:

Latest cellar looks great!

Lot o’ money for 900 bottles. I’m not faulting you guys. You just build what you’re asked to build, but your customer obviously has more money than sense.

Bob - It is a lot of money. Especially in this economy. Though for some people this is one of their dreams that they want to build up. For others it’s kitchen redo, or a pool with a jacuzzi outside. Those can cost about the same or more for simple ‘enhancements’. To each his own, right?

Absolutely. Having once built a cellar from scratch myself (including the racking in redwood), I know how much labor goes into these things. It just surprises me when allegedly serious wine collectors, when faced with limited space, opt for form over function.

My cellar was 6x11x8 and held close to 1800 bottles. It wasn’t fancy and the door was your basic insulated steel exterior entrance door, but it was really, really functional - and attractive once you got inside. I think the whole thing was about $4000 inclusive of the cooling unit . . . but I had to bargain REALLY hard to get enough redwood 1x1 and 1x2 to keep within that budget. That was, and I’m sure it will come as no surprise to you, the largest part of the expense.

That’s awesome! Yes, the wood is pretty expensive but it makes sense that it is. (I have to throw in the fact that we offer only Sustainable Forestry Initiative certified Redwood for our cellars!)

The difference in what people want to build can really change the cost.

Do you just want a storage closet? Do you want it to be a tasting room? Do you want to entertain in there? Some of these ‘big cellars’ that I’m showing are entertainment rooms. I’m going to have to crawl through our photo gallery and find some fun installations of closet cellars as well. I like to show off the big purdy ones though. They are fun to drool over!

I’ve never quite understood the allure of entertaining at 55 degrees Fahrenheit, but that’s just me.

It’s so women can look fashionable in their Old Navy Fleece…