Photos of a new Wine Cellar Install

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Or sexy in a light blouse? [wink.gif]

Kristi - we are in the midst of building a small cellar as part of a house we are building and would love to see some pictures for some idea. I looked on the site and they are really helpful in seeing what I want. Wish I could use youguys - but we are forced to use builder contractors. Thanks in advance.

No worries, Brad! I am asking around and will try to hunt up some good photos for you. Many of the smaller projects, people will buy the racks and install themselves but I’m sure we have some install photos around here somewhere!

Kristi, I’ll bet you haven’t done one of these.

Bob, very innovative. You’d better get all the bottles you need for the evening before you start to drink. That circular staircase looks treacherous under anything but full sensibilities.

Oh, dear. I’ve given the wrong impression. That’s not mine. I just saw the picture someplace and thought it was interesting . . . not to mention agreeing with you that it’s potentially life-threatening.

LOL - I do see some ER visits in someones future with one of those! Very high tech though. I like the glass door.

[flash=]WOW ERIC![/flash]
Very impressive! How many bottles does that puppy hold?

Steve, it could hold about 9,000, although in a post-Bernie world I have shrunk from 4,200 to 3,000. Maybe someday I will fill it up.

Still jealous over here :slight_smile:

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! Kristi, I would love to see more pics with ballpark prices as I will build a cellar in the not too distant future for my next home.

How many square feet does it take up?

I have almost 5,000 stored offsite and need to sell some CA wines, but am unsure as to how big to build. Part of me says do a 3,500 bottle cellar, another says 5,000 and yet another says 7,500. Problem is that I keep growing…

Blueprint is here: https://picasaweb.google.com/cellartracker1/Cellar#5103998371177901394

I think it is 700sq feet but don’t recall. It is two large rooms, one very deep and underneath our garage.

I had the choice of building one room or two. Since we were going from scratch in a new foundation (adjacent to our existing house as an addition) it made sense to dig a deeper hole and add the second room. If I ever fill both then I stop buying wine. At one point I was heading in that direction at a pretty good pace.

Eric - I’m sure at some point you will start reaching that point again. :slight_smile:

Joe - You are in my area! I’m in Yorba Linda! I will post a few. Actually, right now this is my favorite one:

We just wrote about the installation a few weeks ago and it holds over 600 bottles and is right off their kitchen.

I just got the photos of the full cellar but they are in my Dropbox account :slight_smile: We did a quick video of the stocked cellar though.

I’m still drooling.

EDIT: Ballpark price for this was over $15k for the full project and installation. Keep in mind this is really a showpiece with the curved corners, the All Heart Redwood, and those full wood bins.

You could get a lot more affordable with Pine wood and open bins (or just a lot of individual storage) to limit the amount of wood being used.

This is exactly the size I’m looking for. 600-800, give or take. I don’t need anything that fancy, but I know my wife wants a custom door. Maybe, it’s cuz I haven’t seen a lot of custom cellars, but what is the purpose of the curved corner areas in the pic? I mean the semi-circular shelves with the tiny shelves on the inside.

[cheers.gif]

I say screw that metrosexual look, this is a real man’s cellar.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

@Leo - ahhhahahaha :slight_smile: Honestly, that looks like something I might have too but WOW. WOW.

@Joe - There is no special purpose in regards to the curved corners, thinking that they might help with the wine. It’s simply for the style that this person wanted. It looks like they have a large home, entertain a lot, and they wanted something truly special.

Here is a small cellar, only holding about 300 wine bottles but look at the difference. It’s Premium Redwood, using all open storage (meaning the bins are make of 1x2’s not solid wood) and it’s very functional. See how the color of the wood is very light, while the All Heart Redwood is very rich in reds and browns? It’s just taken from a different part of the wood. It’s right in their closet and boom, there you go.

Here is the writeup for this cellar.

This was done for around $1k, not including installation. Installation was around $800, it looks like. Considering you want around 600 bottles, you could possibly get it for around $2k, for pure function I would think. (Price would always vary depending on the layout, etc. etc!) If you went with Pine wood, the wood would be even more affordable.

Depending on what wine cellar door you want, it needs to be solid wood to lock in the temperature. Your wife probably wants something pretty so she can look at it right? Us wives always want something pretty! I know our standard doors are around $2k but as always, it varies.