Steak off : Flannery Porterhouse versus Meat by Linz (Chicago) Porterhouse

We had a meeting of the guys to look at Bryan’s Porterhouse compared with a Porterhouse that my friend said was better.
Below are some pics.
Both were dry aged about 40 days.
Both were approximately 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inches thick.
Both cooked by my buddy who loves the Linz steaks.
The Linz steak is in the middle. The two on the ends are Bryans.

The verdict.

A tie. Both were absolutely incredible. Perfect texture and beefy flavor. The bones were actually one of the best parts. They were gnawed until all the meat was gone.

Thanks Bryan for hooking us up.

A great night.

Oh. The wines. Krug NV aged for about 10 years. Other very good champers. 1999 Jadot Montrachet (Out of this world). 1987 BV Georges de la Tour Jeroboam. 1990 Haut Brion. 1983 Ampeau Puligny Combettes with cheese.

Private Reserve or Midwestern?

I actually like the trim on the middle

Private Reserve

Any pics of the finished product?

I DEMAND a rematch!!! [cheers.gif]

they all looked pretty damn good… I liked the thick veins of fat in the middle steak… I type this as I am eating a flannery prime hangar that I made for lunch…

Scott,
This guy Linz is in Chicago but he is “to the trade” only.
Wholesale.
Great looking steak.
Bryan’s steaks were DELICIOUS.
Such a great night.
Here are a couple of pics.
Steaks cooked to medium rare.

Don

Good looking steaks. I was being funny. Trade access is no problem for me. Can you PM his contact info? How does he price? Most restaurants can’s use “flannery” quality beef because of the cost, but I am curious of where he is price-wise… Flannery is getting very expensive.

No kidding. Picked up a porterhouse for two yesterday and had to do a double take on the price. Seems like a massive increase in price from what I recall a year ago. Good thing I like Hanger.

Scott - I think this might be what you’re looking for:

http://www.meatsbylinz.com/page.php?pg=clientele" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For what it’s worth, I see that they provide meat to the Gaylord Texan Resort in Grapevine, TX. I was just there earlier in the week, and had what was easily a top-10 steak in my book. I would love to get my hands on some of that stuff, if that’s indeed what I had.

Chamberlain’s here in Dallas appears to source their beef from this outfit. Richard does a very, very good job with beef critter at his restaurant. Would be some good beef to get ahold of.

A gas grill. Lazy old men. [snort.gif] [berserker.gif]

Looks like a great time Don!

Brent,

I had to switch to gas after I broke a $1000 Komado grill in one fell swoop while bringing it out of the rain.
It killed me!
This one has a couple of TEC burners and gets up around 1000 degrees F. Also it won’t break.
Still nothing beats charcoal.

We had a wonderful time. Rowdy was down near the garage making duck fat fries in the fryer.

Wow - I did not realize Flannery’s prices had increased so much. His steaks are more expensive than Lobel’s. I have never had Lobels - can anyone comment on quality versus Flannery?

Second 42oz’er left in the fridge for 8 days. From Linz.
Cooked to the rare side of medium rare.
Absolutely a knockout!
Here is the before.
Sorry no after pics.
My son and I ate it before I could take one.

awesome looking piece of beef…

How long have you guys been buying from Bryan? I ask becasue I’ve been buying for a couple years now and guess I haven’t noticed any appreciable price increase. What is the price increase - 15%? 20%?

Not to derail this thread or anything, but I had a steak the other night at Del Frisco’s in Orlando and, while quite good, it would have been embarassed in a taste off against Flannery. I’m willing to pay for that level of quality (to a certain extent, of course).

FWIW, I had a Flannery rib cap delivered yesterday and noticed the price had gone up to $40/lb. That’s definitely higher than I remember it being - ~30% or so.

Those are all glorious steaks. Any good piece of meat is a welcome addition to this world, if you ask me :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed Bryan’s prices going up some, but not beyond the point where I think they aren’t still a good value for what you get. Of course, I’m a pure Flannery devotee.

IIRC, the street price was around $33 a pound a couple months ago.