Boardwide Virtual Tasting of 2001 Cabernets Fully TABULATED

Here is the final tabulations for the Boardwide Virtual Tasting of 2001 Cabernets.
We had a great showing considering membership numbers. 31 wines noted on.
Thanks for being part of it.

Anomaly Cabernet Sauvignon Good - this was probably better a couple years ago
Barbour Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Great Drinking at a really nice place right now but there’s no rush.
Beringer Reserve Good - The finish seemed slightly acidified and the mouth feel was a bit angular
Bond Matriarch Excellent A bit restrained in style
Bressler Great The mouth feel was not heavy but was silky with integrated tannins
Bressler Good This wine was very enjoyable, but did not stand out for an 01 Napa Cab
Dunn Napa Valley Great only a year or so away from being perfect to pop and pour.
Forman Good - I have had this a half dozen times and this has surely declined from 5 years ago
Hartwell, Stag’s Leap District WOW - but this wine was clearly on the next level. In no danger of fading any time soon
Hundred Acre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Kayli Morgan Good Not a long-term ager
Jones Family Cabernet Sauvignon Excellent very bdx like with a nice finish. Perfect time to drink this wine
Jones Family Cabernet Sauvignon Great may even improve over the next couple of years
Justin Isosceles Reserve- Excellent mid-weight cab based wine with tons of character, breed, and elegance
Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon Great The wine screams well-made Cab, but is still in need of further cellaring
Kobalt Great Not quite as complex as I had hoped
Ladera, Howell Mountain Great super silky texture…I loved this wine
Lenz Merlot, Estate Selection, North Fork, Long Island Excellent Yeah, Merlot.
Name . comment
Neal Napa Caberne Average Lots of fruit, but little depth to it, flavors without any dimensions
Paul Hobbs Great all framed within a wine of significant structure and balance
Phelps Insignia Excellent will continue to improve for years and years and drink well for decades
Plumpjack Estate Good An enjoyable wine but not remarkable
Pride Cabernet Sauvignon Average A pretty much monolithic wine at this stage.
Pride Reserve Cabernet Good but not quite the note makers style
Rudd Estate Excellent Now it has integrated even more into a world class cab
Rudd Oakville Estate (white label) Great very charming wine, if a little simple at this point
Shafer Napa Flawed?
Spring Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Estate - Great harmonious, smooth, rich. Not overpowering, very elegant, subtle and delicious.
Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars, Fay Vineyard Very Good The mouthfeel was very silky
Stewart Cabernet Sauvignon Good Overall a great value for Napa these days,
Switchback Ridge Peterson WOW Such perfect balance and terrific flavors I hated to see the bottom of the bottle
Vine Cliff Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Good but I see it going downhill rather that getting any better

I’m in for a Rudd Estate Cab.

Done.

I have NO '01 Napa Cab!

You can always open an '01 Pavie.

Todd, don’t be so hard on your self.

Maybe that will be a good way to celebrate the big 3-0. I have an '01 Pavie and a '98. I know you’re the Pavie guru… which should I open?

Gentlemen, with all due respect, please wait until someone starts the “Boardwide Virtual Bordeaux” thread…[thank_you.gif]

I will have have my cab notes tainted with funk and dirt… [tease.gif]

Guess I’ll wait this one out.

I did have a few bottles of '01 CA cab, but they are gone.

I don’t have an '01 either, but I’ll source something.

Sounds like fun. Gotta check my choices. I’ve been sitting on a note for the '01 Kobalt I popped this past weekend. Maybe I’ll just hold off and include it for the BVT.

The few I have aren’t coming out of the back corner of the cellar for a few more years at least. Looking forward to the update on the Forman though. [dance2.gif]

I have a couple of '01 Rombauer Cab that are close to port/prune juice that I would be happy to donate to you :twisted:

Was it sitting in the window all this time?

I’ve got an 01 Dunn Napa I’ll pop. I wonder if I should start decanting in now? [dontknow.gif]

Yep on the sunnyside hehehehehe !

Couldn’t hurt…now could it?

Dunn Napa from '01 could probably use 2-3 hours. I think these are different than they were 15 years ago…more approachable, and hey, its the Napa… [berserker.gif]