Boardwide Virtual Tasting of 2001 Cabernets Fully TABULATED

Sounds like fun, though I am going to be travelling that weekend and not carrying wine.

[diablo.gif] I may have to cheat and pop early and post the notes on the 13th.

I have 2001 Spottswoode, Rudd Oakville Proprietary, Montelena Estate, and Phelps Insignia. I haven’t tried any out of bottle yet, but I think the Rudd might be the closest to being “ready”. Thoughts?

Spottswoode and the Insignia are both kicking much ass these days. I have had them both in the past six months and while different beasts…they both represent their respective estates very well.

[quote="Bill Tex Landreth

Spottswoode and the Insignia are both kicking much ass these days. I have had them both in the past six months and while different beasts…they both represent their respective estates very well.[/quote]

Thanks. In my original post, I intended to say “Rudd” instead of “Dunn”. Do you have a view about the Rudd Oakville?

I had the Rudd Proprietary back at the winery 3 1/2 years ago…very good then, but I have not had it since. The Estate Cab is very good and would hope the sibling was progressing nicely as well.

the 01 Insignia is amazing right now. I preferred it to the 02

8 years is my sweet spot for all of these wines, so timing on this is not an accident…

I concur.

Insignia it shall be. Thanks for your input.

Agree on the Spottwoode. I had one a bit over six months ago that was still a little tight. But one I had about a month ago was totally rocking!

I’ll open a Spring Mountain Estate Cab

I could go Maiden (the Harlan is still closed) Pride Reserve, Pahlmeyer, Arujuo
Monty, or Oakford, Dunn HM (not). I will decide based on other’s choices.

I’ll jump in and maybe do a Ladera 01…been eying them for some time…

I could do the Pride Cab Franc and/or the Cab Sauv regular bottling to compare/contrast with the Reserve.

I’d participate, but I already sold Pobega most of my Cabs.
He’ll post for me.

[highfive.gif]

So it appears that we’re supposed to announce in advance and everyone taste something different? [imnewhere.gif]

Correct.

Potential victims:

Merus
Larkmead Solari Res.
Insignia (taken)
Vineyard 29 - Cab. Sauv. and Aida
Ramey - Jericho Canyon
Egelhoff
Beringer PR
Spottswoode
Staglin
Sloan
Pride Reserve (taken)
Rudd Oakville Estate
Mondavi Reserve
Corison PNV
Corison Kronos
Corison Napa
Hartwell
Arrowood Reserve
Dominus

have an 01 Renteria Q-Hill Cab that could be sacrificed?

If you are referring to my earlier posts, I have settled on the Insignia. Spttswoode and Rudd Oakville Proprietary are up for grabs.