Zepaltas Chicago May 17th

Trying to see if this is a possibility…have a call in already

http://www.basculewinebar.com/

hi guys - i’m game. how about Sun Wah?

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I have been off the radar for a bit. Really looking forward to this no matter where we end up. Thank you for all the suggestions, and input.

I am happy to go anywhere where that will let us post up and get rowdy. BBQ is fine with me, Cuban sound good too. Relaxed, not to fussy is fine with me. Hell,I would be happy with any cheap hole-in-the-wall as long as there is good food and decent enough glassware.

I plan on bringing the following (if my library inventory is correct:)
2005 Sonoma Coast PN
2007 Barton Vineyard RRV PN
2009 W.E. Bottoms PN
2009 Suacci PN
2007 Babushka Chardonnay
2010 Hanzell Chardonnay
2004 Rosella’s Syrah

Plus some newer bottlings of course

We may have to bring glassware depending on where we end up – I can spot you.

Let’s decide if we are going to Osteria langhe. They agreed to waive our corkage as long as we do not have “too many” bottles. 1 per person seems ok.
If we decide, I will confirm the reservation with them.
How about 6PM?

I think 7pm for the event is preferable. And I don’t know what too many bottles is, but we’re likely to be over 1 per person.

I spoke with Bascule yesterday and I will try to follow-up today so we know what our options are.

[cheers.gif] I guess my alcohol tolerance is on the lower side. 1 bottle is quite a push for me already.
How many bottles do you think we will have? I think it should not be a problem if we go couple bottles over. We can reserve for 6:30 and start at 7. It may take some time to set up. I can be there early if needed.

A friend suggested
I"f everyone eats everything the easy and cheapest answers are Lao sze Chuan and
Sun wah bar b que. "
Thoughts?

my only thought on Langhe is i do not want to overdo it with bottles. In short, If we do Langhe, I will bring ~6 from Zepaltas, and the everyone else can bring a bottle to share if they like. I am happy to buy a bottle or 2 off of the list to be good guests

If we go to a legit BYOB, i will bring ~a mixed case of Z wines.

Ryan,

As a Chinese, I will NEVER eat at Lao sze Chuan for health reason, unless people like their spicy pepper oil recycled from previous guest.
Sun wah is a hit a miss. I think they charge corkage and we might need to bring our own stems.
For Langhe, let’s count the total number of the bottles and I will ask to see if they are ok.

David, if you’re worried about sanitation Sun Wah is probably not your best bet(seriously, google it). Delicious duck though.

Yeah…I know… deadhorse

The problem is there is not too many good options in the city for roast duck…

I do roast duck at home using Heston Blumenthal’s method. But this is another thread.

i’m a fairly adventurous eater, but Sun Wah made me nervous after several shut downs by the health dept in a 2 year period.

While I’ve not tried the place, I have been wanting to visit a place in Chinatown that’s received good reviews called Go 4 Food:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=36869

Seems like seafood is the specialty.

I have been to this place. It does OK Cantonese food. Nothing special. Food is quite heavy and a lot deep frying prep. Not sure they are BYOB though.

Ok last try – should we go to House of Fortune? I can get them to BYO (amount won’t matter) and a private room so we won’t be interrupted/interrupting anyone else. They have Peking Duck so perhaps we can order two ducks plus whatever else we want.

Sounds great to me, Corey. Thanks for working all the options. Peking Duck, private room … both sound good.

Ryan - you cool if we bring a wine or two (non-competing, of course) to throw into the mix?

I talked to Bascule today (see above) and they are willing to let us bring in all we want and use the chefs table which seats 12. No corkage, they simply asks that everyone order an entree and preferably apps too.

Group let me know if you prefer Bascule or House of Fortune. I don’t really care but I want to nail this down.

Let’s make it Bascule. 6:30pm Monday the 18th

1421 WEST TAYLOR
​CHICAGO IL 60607

Corey, can you book the chef’s table?

Here’s my thoughts:
-it’s a wine bar, so its good to support a wine-centric place
-the food appears solid, place looks cozy
-they should have good stems
-no Corkage!
-I will bring a bunch of Zwines
-I will pay for a bottle off of the list for us to get started
-Feel free to bring a bottle to share, that is great!
-We’ll split the bill, but I will cover the tip for the group.
-Everyone bring cash if you can so we don’t have to mess with a bunch of credit cards at the end of the night
-I’m Super excited to hang with you all.
-lets get an official headcount, everyone confirm their attendance.

Cheers,
Ryan

I have the chefs table reserved for 7:00, I’m sure I can change it to 6:30.

I’ll bring a 2005 Baumard Quarts de Chaume for dessert.

7 is fine. let’s roll with that.

Thanks,
Ryan