Your mashed potatoes recipe

Hmm, nuke em right in tub and add BBQ sauce. Sounds great. Is there a brand you recommend?

I’ve seen/used two of them, I believe Country Crock is one, can’t remember the other, maybe Hormel?

Google is your friend. They are on the shopping list.

I’m pretty sure there was another brand they carry around here, they come in different flavors also. It’s coming to me, kinda, still cannot remember the name, but they are in the frozen veggie section, in bags like frozen veggies, to me they tasted alot better than the CC.

The trick for me is to pass the boiled potatoes through a sieve and heat them afterwards on a low fire to evaporate water. Than add butter (cold) untill the puree is saturated and add some warm milk to finish. Finally you can add herbs, truffel, …

Olive oil instead of butter also works

First laugh of the day, Scott. Thank you. With those pesky Seahawks out of the picture, we just might become friends.

I peel and cut into large chunks to minimize water-log (typically russetts, sometimes yukons) put through ricer, add plenty of butter and hot heavy cream, salt to taste. Mix with spatula only. Turn them over and over - basically folding the ingredients into the potatoes, so you don’t get that glop.

Another thing I have done in the past, after you get the mash potato’s done, add some hamburg (cooked/crumbled) and some corn (cooked), mix real good. Very tasty!

Ah, the old ex-urban Boston version of Shepherd’s Pie.Have to moisten the ground beef with broth and seasonings, though. C’mon, John.

+1. If you are getting firm mashed potatoes, this is where I think you’re going wrong. You might also rinse your chopped up potatoes in water until the water runs clean – gets rid of more excess starch than just the boiling itself.

Do you really need the sieve if you rice them? Is that just to make the texture extra smooth? I’m just asking because we kind of prefer less smooth, but mashed potatoes are one of those dishes where if done right, the texture isn’t that important to us.

My best version is from Daniel Boulud

You boil the potatoes in a 50/50 mixture of water and whole milk. I think the effect is that the fat proteins in the milk bonds to the potatoes. Just water on the other hand, cools, and then separates.
It makes the creamiest, densest, most rich mashed potatoes I’ve ever had.

Do you really need the sieve if you rice them? Is that just to make the texture extra smooth? I’m just asking because we kind of prefer less smooth, but mashed potatoes are one of those dishes where if done right, the texture isn’t that important to us.

Dr. Spikes - the texture is amazing run through a sieve. The texture and mix is equally tasty simply riced…

Do you wash and dry them?

Strong avatar.

Throw some gravy in there & you’ve got yourself a KFC bowl.

Question for those leaving the skins on, which is a taste a like but makes for tougher execution: The skins totally jam my ricer, am I to remove the skins, cut them up and add back later?

I make great mashed potatoes. My kids wonder why everyone else’s taste funny or have funny textures.

For the potatoes I use a combination of Russet, Yukon Gold and Red skin. The russets for their ability to absorb butter and cream and the lower wax content which increases the fluff factor. Yukon Golds for flavor and color, the wax content is good, the fluff factor medium. Finally some whole red skins. Ratio is about 2:2:1. I usually roast 3 or 4 heads of garlic so I have it ready for when the mashed potato urge strikes.
Cut the potatoes into the appropriate sized chunks. Peeling the russet’s cleanly, the Yukon Golds fairly well but not obsessively and the Red skins not at all. Large pot with a handle of well salted water. Red skins go in first, then yukons then russets. Boil until tender. Taste them to make sure they are tender.
Drain and put back on low heat to start the drying process. When dry add heavy cream to cover the bottom of the pot with the potatoes to about a 1/2 inch depth. Add most of a stick of butter. Add the squeezed head of roasted garlic. Add some salt and black and white pepper. Then mash with the hand masher. Do not use a mixer for this stage (or any stage if you can) Mash until no lumps and until smooth. Add more butter and cream if necessary to achieve the appropriate consistency which is fluffy but not stiff, smooth but not gluey, pale gold in color with flavor that is earthy nutty and well seasoned. A little truffle flavor goes nicely. Put a small knob of butter on top, put the lid on the pot and put in a 150 oven to hold until the fried chicken is done.

So, you’re saying mashed potatoes go with fried chicken???

Great recipe!!

You can also microwave spuds. Just fork a few holes in them first.

Chris - your SV mashed potatoes recipe from seems like a massive amount of butter! 1 lb? Really?