Your mashed potatoes recipe

Nope, but i have had, and have made various excellent mash, garlic mash, etc, and they all are secondary to protein and a canvas for protein imo.

I love this recipe from Ina Garden - Barefoot Contessa | Recipes Main Page
Not as garlicky as they sound - use a good evoo.

Once I slice and roast my potatoes with some shallots and duck fat there is no need to mash them

This is basically what I do- except I use a ricer, I prefer them without lumps. Always hand mix. Heavy cream if I want them a bit more luxurious. Sometimes add some grated Parm to the mix.

If I have time- after mashing and mixing, I put in the oven for at least 15 minutes. Brings another layer of flavor, kind of the twice baked thing. Found this by accident- made mashed one time and put in the oven to stay warm , but had the oven on. Now I do this almost every time.

this. Except the milk or cream is room temperature or warm. and mashed by hand with a masher (ricer is too big of a pain in the ass).

Robouchon’s 2:1 ratio is intense when using good butter. 3:1 is ok too. I like using an old school electric hand mixer and getting them super creamy/fluffy.

I boil russet squares to about 17 minutes, salted water, drain and mash with hand potato masher. I keep about 5-10% of the skins on or better yet, just don’t do such a good job peeling in advance. I don’t mash too finely as I like it chunky. I add whipping cream and butter. Salt to taste and maybe some grated parmigiano reggiano cheese depending on what I am serving alongside them from the point of adding stuff I use a wooden spoon to whip a bit, no more mashing. I call them dirty potatoes and they are a big hit in my house.

I made this Alton Brown recipe once and my wife absolutely loved them, so it’s been my go-to ever since

It might be a Texas thing but always use canned milk when making mashed taters, use half for the spuds half for gravy.

Slightly off topic but used this on a baked potato tonight, perfect with a 1995 Montelena.

This may not come as a surprise to many of you but my mashed potatoes are done in 10 minutes with little hassle. A little extra butter than required, but also some extra buds. If it’s just for me, all that’s necessary is sufficient Lawry’s Seasoned Salt and Seasoned Pepper and the crater filled with BBQ sauce. If somebody has expectations, I set some aside for me then add a 8 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of sour cream and whip.

I don’t like the taste of the soy sauce in that product. It competes with the truffle flavor.

That being said, large diced Yukon Gold potatoes boiled in salted water, (I don’t like to have to add salt after the cooking, so the water should taste a little salty when you start.) until just tender. Drain. Pass through coarse disc of the food mill which removes the skins, and return to the pot over lowest heat. Add heavy cream and good quality unsalted butter, and season with fresh ground white pepper, (and more salt if necessary).

Those would go well with the hotdogcornbreadchilicheese thing… [wow.gif]

I’m actually surprised that with the grub that Randy prepares that they drink so well.

I throw in a bunch of garlic cloves while boiling the potatoes.
Hand mash.
I also add some truffle salt at the end.

I like a more rustic version, so I leave some or all of the skins on, and mash by hand to leave some lumps. Then butter, salt/pepper, and I also use some sour cream and sometimes cream cheese for richness. I love Yukons, but they can turn very sticky and starchy, and need more liquid. Russets are bullet proof, but make a lighter, fluffier mash.

I now do mine this way:

And, yeah…I bought a sieve - though not two…I simply rice them first and then press through…they are simply addicting.

I’ve been steaming all my veggies since about 1980, to me HUGE difference in taste, and alot healthier for ya.

Maybe try the mash potato’s that come in a tub, not too bad.

Mine are pretty simple, steam potato’s (russet), add butter, milk, sometimes garlic, pepper. I’ve done chives once or twice before also. I use a mixer, I’ve also done with a masher.