Which Donut Is Best?

the good ones have lots of apple chunks. my vote.

Buttermilk old fashioned with a vanilla bean glaze from Do Rite. I can only eat one or two a year, but they get my teeth and brain a hummin’

My vote was apple fritter as well. Stan’s in Westwood makes a great one.
Charlie, did you frequent VG’s in Cardiff during your UCSD days? They had a good fritter and a great BBB, blueberry buttermilk bar. We rolled up to them many a late night. They’d be inside baking and we’d bang on the locked glass doors waving cash. Once they knew we were tippers, the donuts would flow.

I’m also a fan of the straight buttermilk bar. Primo’s in West LA has good ones. Donuts have gone way beyond the standard favorites. Primo’s has a maple-bacon donut, and Donut Man has a bunch of good fruit donuts.

I never went that far north unless I was heading home to LA:D

Glazed cruller

My guilty donut pleasure is the apple fritter rolled in crumbs. Heart stopper!

old fashioned raised glazed. as Ryan said, with coffee FTW. flirtysmile

Sour cream donut. I don’t see them often around here but mmmmm.

A still warm, fresh cider donut comes in second.

Dutch crumb, cinnamon crunch or a glazed sour cream.

A hot KK original is the only doughnut I deem worth the calories.
I will eat a plain, cinnamon sugar or powdered cake and not regret it.
A chocolate cake eaten alongside a raspberry filled is also not bad.
Finally the bacon maple long john from Blue Dot doughnuts in New Orleans is pretty tasty, but I can only manage to down about 1/4 of one.

Not a doughnut, but homemade beignets are also worth the calories. Morning Call or Cafe du Monde are nice as well.

+1! Why not just eat the box while you’re at it?!?!

GLAZED cake all the way baby!

Voted for the Maple Bar, my second choice is a chocolate old fashion. the last time I had a donut was about three years ago when I took my Mom for her last hair cut. Think I’ll get one this weekend.

PS, I love Bear Claws but the are pastries!

Dinkel’s in Chicago has a great sour cream doughnut (of which the bastards had none today).

Dunkin’ donuts used to have their Buttermilk Klinker which was a glazed, solid thick sconelike shape and to me, irresistible. I once bought three on my way home from a meeting, and still remember the resulting, ahhhh, distress.

Used to be a farm stand/dog and burger place ( hot apple cider etc ) in Armonk, NY that made fresh fried plain/powdered sugar/ and cinnamon sugar that were crazy good. Remember sitting with my kids and inhaling 3 or 4 before they could cool off.Best donuts I ever had- too bad they closed to build housing.

Unglazed buttermilk bar (best ratio of crunchy outside and creamy inside). Holds up well to dunking. Pretty hard to mess up and really good at a place that knows what they are doing.

As a special category, the tiger tails (kind of a twist that is half standard yeasted dough and half chocolate spiked dough) at The Donut Man on Route 66 in Glendora, CA are unique and awesome. If you are anywhere near by, they are pretty much considered the best donut in Greater L.A. You can see a picture of it on their FB page (as the cover picture): Redirecting...

Okay, now I want to drive up to Orchards of Conklin and buy a bag of their cinnamon sugar apple cider donuts. I wonder if I’ll still like them?

Maple glazed long john (bar) unfilled. Specifically from Byerly’s.

VGs is the best. We get them every Christmas morning (we go back and visit the family) and there is nothing better. The best donuts I’ve ever had. They make me so, so happy. I think their glazed are best.

But really, trying to choose the best donut is like trying to choose your favorite child. It’s an effing donut – by definition it’s good :slight_smile:

Scott

I’m a retired cop. Ever seen what happens when a Cop is offered his choice of donuts for free??? Makes a kid in candy store look like a piker.

1. Glazed Cinnamon Roll
  2. Maple bar
  3. Chocolate glazed
  4. Fried Plain glazed
  5. Plain glazed
    6, Anything else that looks like, tastes like a donut, as long as it doesn’t have coconut on it.