When have you been at your most wine snobbish?

I guess it would be bringing our own wineglasses for a weekend at our friends’ summer cottage but then again I knew they did not have proper glasses there and we were about to consume many bottles of good grower Champagne plus some decent Bourgogne and Bordeaux.

For that I feel no shame whereas by correcting people after they have claimed that there are only three grape varieties allowed in Champagne I really make myself feel like a sad, bad person. I do not see myself getting rid of that habit anytime soon, though.

I am SO stealing that one! [cheers.gif]

In my country, except for 1 restaurant (used to be 2) where the sommelier is properly trained, I do not allow any staff members to pour my bottles.

Other than that, in formal wine dinners, refusing to drink and/or giving away my allocations of wines that I’ve had before and do not find interesting or are obviously damaged - albeit still drinkable to others (e.g., Screaming Eagle, a '29 Margaux, a '30s Lafite Rothschild, a '40s La Conseillante, etc.).

Just yesterday. I auctioned off a tasting for our high school football program. Up to case of wine for 12 people. They get to select wines from my cellar up to the value bid and I put on the tasting at their location of choice. It went for $1,900. When initially discussing the tasting with the buyers I asked about their stemware and they suggested plastic cups. I just said no, that won’t work…

Bold / underline to help you make the connection. [wink.gif]

Red party cups, right? rolleyes They’ll probably want to play wine pong. [snort.gif]

I am not sure when I was most snobby; let me get back to you after I consult with my personal sommelier.

Jeff, that was just the pre-game show. Just think of the opportunities during the event itself. Please do report back!

I’m thinking of damage control and offering a few cases with two or three bottles of each wine and turning it into a party…I was hoping for different buyers, rather than big $$ booster who knows nothing about wine [help.gif]

Cheers Matthew, much appreciated!

Obviously I don’t take the glasses with me everywhere, I’m not a full blown wine idiot, only a partial one! That said if it’s a party, aka an actual party (instead of a dinner party), I always bring my own. Too many times I’ve seen mates drink wine from coffee mugs and while it’s alright in some circumstances if I’m bringing my own wine I’m going to bring my own glassware. Can’t speak highly enough about the O to Go series. I’ve got the Syrah glasses but drink anything from them. Sure, they aren’t Zalto stems but they get the job done and are much more subtle.

Let me teach you a useful little phrase for when you bring a box or two of wine glasses to a party “I was concerned that you might not have enough glasses to go around”

Would it be presumptuous for me to answer. neener

How about when you gave me that GC Burg and tried to convince me that it was good?

I smell a charity boxing match in the making - Jay representing rocket fuel, Mark representing stodgy old crusty stuff. [snort.gif] So what if the state of NY Athletic Commission thinks they’re both too old to license?

…ah, nothing helps Monday morning like a good cup of coffee and an entertaining WB thread.

A friends 30th at a BYO(on Mondays only) in Chicago, we were moving into an older bottle of Gerin’s Cote Rotie Les Grand Place. So far the glassware had been Riedel Burgundy glasses, but I had seen the Riedel Sommeliers Grand Cru Burgundy glasses when we entered the restaurant. I asked if we could use those for this wine. The server immediately agreed, but mentioned they hadn’t been used for months and he would need to polish the glasses before use. There were 9 of us and my friends were appalled, but the wine was lovely and, IMO, so much more so from the GC glass.

If going to a party, IMO the best way to engage in some douche-baggery is to take your own glasses. Unless you have absolutely no self-awareness, that is. You should already have a pretty good idea if your hosts are wine people or not. If so, they should have plenty of adequate stemware already and taking your own lets them know you think otherwise. If you absolutely have no idea, leave yours at home & save it for another night.

For me, finding myself poo-pooing the wine that others bring to a dinner party with another wine-buddy who’s already there. I do it sometimes…it’s embarrassing

I don’t consider this soooo snobbish, but OTOH not soooo charitable-

Years ago I had a colleague who was a good cook and a great party-thrower. At the first dinner party I attended I brought a nice bottle. He had a look, said thank you, and the thing disappeared. Then, his wine, the very very cheapest discounter €2,99 crapola was served.

Now, I KNOW that I gave a GIFT, and once it left my hands it was his to do with as he pleased.

Still…

at subsequent dinners I opened the wine at home “of course to let it breathe” and presented him with the open bottle.

Moderate threadjack:

This brings up a question/situation in my house. Five years ago, as I was dipping my toes into the wine pool, I started buying Riedel varietal specific glasses. Based on my knowledge level, I purchased Vinum champagnes, Cab/Merlots and Sav Blancs. Now that I’m closer to ankle deep, I realize a Batard Montrachet really does taste better in the Viognier/Oaked Chard glass and Burgundy…well, you get the picture. While I realize this, buying 12 more of two more sets of glassware hasn’t been a priority. Fellow snobs, would you bring your own glass to my house if you were drinking Burgundy, or would what I have been good enough?

Good enough for me, Meredith.

Considering the thread, the overwhelming answer should be we’d use yours… and snicker to each other behind your back. [snort.gif]

I tend to put on my “snob cap” when I post here! [berserker.gif]