When have you been at your most wine snobbish?

I keep my mouth shut until my opinion is called for.

I have been asked, and remarked that the drank is a “Weinähnliches Getränk”.

a “wine-like beverage”.

When at my own house, I do not allow anyone to pour a different wine into their glass until they finish the first one. If they tease me, I offer them either a second glass or a dump bucket. I consider myself being a good host, with house rules. They consider me to geeky to live, but usually take it in good spirits.

Swirling? Really? I do that all the time, almost out of habit and almost subconsciously. I didn’t think it was snobbery, but I guess I might be wrong.

Not sure if this is snobby, but definitely jerky:
When serving a bottle to amateurs when I’ve been a bit overserved, I can’t help but telling them what it retails for and usually what a great deal I got on it. I consciously think: Don’t do it and then I get a bit of a buzz on and out it comes.

Exactly the same applies to politics, which, being of Irish descent and thus always up for a good argument, I give myself a bit of a pass on.

When we have parties, I make it clear that Yellow Tail is not allowed in my house and will be poured down the drain. Somebody tested me on it and I feel bad for the fishes.

That leaves Bolla and Barefoot. Woo hoo! When’s your next shindig? [snort.gif]

Nothing since my wife told me to stop gargling my wine in public

At a restaurant, absentmindedly swirling my water glass.

I have a habit of pouring 2-3 ounce servings to guests - and always end up getting that “are you really that chintzy” look. I’m so used to having 2-3 different wines open at a time (or in a tasting group with 10-12 wines open), and usually go back and forth tasting each one -rarely pouring more than 2 ounces at a time.

My father in law, who happens to both be very much into wines as well as somewhat responsible for my being into wine, has the opposite problem. When he gets even a bit tipsy he forgets who has what. The consummate host, he’s also quick so spot a nearly empty glass.

His last name is Saccomanno, his nickname Sacco, and so we coined the term “making Sacco blend”.

I had to look up “Cougar Juice” which sent me off on a quick Google search and uncovered this little gem of an article:

One of the funnier lines:

Two of the best, yet sadly usually the most expensive, areas you can find these are Puligny-Montrachet, and Chassagne-Montrachet.

(I know, I know, I don’t need to be such a Bâtard about not mentioning Grands Crus and that Meursault would often be ranked above Chassagne in relative quality even among 1ers.)

And the howler:

There are only three grapes allowed in Champagne production: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, & Pinot Meunier.

Somebody tell the good folks using Pinot Blanc and Arbanne (and also the Pinot Gris and Petit Meslier I had to look up)… By the way, Champagne made out of Arbanne is an absolutely bizarre masterpiece of cognitive dissonance. Imagine something reminding you of a white Rhône yet still unmistakably Champagne. I love it.

Plus a story about King Charlemagne’s beard. Not to be missed.

Anytime I’m heading to a mates place where I’ll be drinking I pack my Riedel O to go glasses (one for me and my partner), a waiters friend, and my own wine. I’ve been called a “wine wanker” and worse for years, instead of fighting it I figure embracing it is the more respectable option.

The O to go are fantastic given they come in their own carrying tube.

As this relates directly to my OP, I have to say good on ya Andrew … not sure why, but I haven’t seen that to-go kit before.

And I like your idea of just “owning” your fetish.

I don’t drink much wine at all-or much alcohol. So when I do drink, and it’s wine, it has got to be good/different/unique (doesn’t mean expensive) and something I want to drink, or else I won’t drink it. Some people interpret this as snobby.

That’s not snobbish. That’s the right thing to do.

When have you been at your most wine snobbish?

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:18 am.

Tasting the first pour at a restaurant feels snobby when you’re with non-wine people.

Maybe. But it’s the one part of your meal the restaurant isn’t responsible for ‘making’, can have a very hefty price tag, and is subject to a relatively high possibility of being off. I’ve had customers just pass on tasting if the wine is one they’ve had before… even (I assume) knowing that each bottle is always subject to the same possibility of being bad as every other one.

Very true. And even though it’s a little snobby, I have no problem doing it anyways, and explaining what I’m doing to those who are curious.

In my early 20s. GF wanted to go out, I wanted to stay in. So I was feeling a bit pissy to begin with. Decided I needed to teach the waitress giving us the BTG rundown that Chablis was Chardonnay. The look I got from the both of them… wanted to crawl into a hole. Learned an important lesson that night.