What wine should I buy to age for a 2014 baby?

It seems like a pretty wide net. I would agree with most of the Bordeaux listed above. I would add a strong recommendation for two not as ‘big’ names, '14 Quivet Cellars Cab Kenefick Ranch (imho, perfect in time for the baby to turn 20-21); '14 EMH Sparkles Selection (It would remain strong probably even for the baby’s 40th birthday). I’m curious to see what other would add to the reference list. Hopefully baby does not end up drinking mimosas neener

Don’t forget Sauternes or some SGNs

Here are all the 2014 magnums at Hart Davis Hart; they’ve got a 2014 Haut Bailly, with points, which isn’t too expensive:

http://www.hdhwine.com/retail-wine-list?includeInStockOnly=0&rows=50&vintage=2014&siz_code=M

Can’t deep-link to WHWC, but if you go here, and enter “Vintage: 2014” and “Bottle size: 1.5L”, then you’ll see that they have a bunch of 2014 Henri Boillot in magnums, and the 1er Crus are kind of affordable:

http://www.whwc.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WHWC-WHWC-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewSearch-Show

Vinopolis is a lot more difficult to peruse; I’ll just dump a few that caught my eye [especially that 2014 Hermannshoehle GG]:

CAMERON CLOS ELECTRIQUE BLANC CHARDONNAY 2014 1.5L
93 POINTS WINE ADVOCATE
$159.00
Search tasting notes for '2014 CAMERON CLOS ELECTRIQUE' - CellarTracker
Vinopolis Wine Shop - Working

GIACOMO CONTERNO BARBERA CASCINA FRANCIA 2014 1.5L
$119.00
92 POINTS WINE ADVOCATE

GANEVAT LE MONTCEAU BLANC 2014 1.5L
$119.00
[might have some oxidation problems, although that begs the question of whether the oxidation is a bug or a feature…]
Jean-François Ganevat | Our Wines | Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant
Search tasting notes for '2014 ganevat montceau' - CellarTracker

A.J. ADAM DHRONER HOFBERG SPATLESE 2014 1.5L
$89.00
92 POINTS WINE ADVOCATE

KARTHAUSERHOF EITELSBACHER AUSLESE 2014 1.5L
$79.00
94 POINTS JOHN GILMAN

KARTHAUSERHOF EITELSBACHER SPATLESE 2014 1.5L
$69.00
90+ POINTS WINE ADVOCATE

KARTHAUSERHOF EITELSBACHER KABINETT 2014 1.5L
$69.00
91 POINTS WINE ADVOCATE

NIKOLAIHOF GRUNER WEINGEBIRGE FEDERSPIEL 2014 1.5L

OCCHIPINTI IL FRAPPATO SICILIA 2014 1.5L
$69.00
93 POINTS WINE ADVOCATE
Search tasting notes for '2014 OCCHIPINTI IL FRAPPATO SICILIA' - CellarTracker

DONNHOFF HERMANNSHOHLE GROSSES GEWACHS 2014
$69.00
96 POINTS WINE ADVOCATE, 94+ POINTS JOHN GILMAN 2022-2060+, 94 POINTS DAVID SCHILDKNECHT – VINOUS

DONNHOFF FELSENBERG GROSSES GEWACHS 2014 750ML
$59.00
94 POINTS WINE ADVOCATE, 93+ POINTS JOHN GILMAN, 93 POINTS DAVID SCHILDKNECHT

I noticed this at B-21 [might have some oxidation problems]:

2014 Jean Paul Thevenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes, Morgon (1.5L)
$59.99
Search tasting notes for '2014 Thevenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes' - CellarTracker
www.b-21.com

Ask him what he likes to drink?

Magnum of 2014 Mouton, grandpa.
Mazel tov.

Mother’s milk? Then of course we are talking Lagavullin!

Doubt frappato’s are meant to be 20-year wines. I had one of these at 4 years and it felt tired.

My son turned 25 on Saturday and we opened 2 1992s from Mount Eden Vineyards. I was pretty confident the Old Vine Reserve Cabernet would show well, and it did. We were all blown away by the Estate Chardonnay - just an amazing wine that wasn’t showing its age at all.

Mount Eden hasn’t released the 2014s yet, but they typically have some magnums and 3 liter bottles available, as well as the 750s.

I second red and white burgundies (best vintage in whites for a long long time).
Ref premox and whites, just red Don Cornutt take on producers and pick the ones less risky. He has great reports on this forum.

Come on Jay -

Bordeaux, or Bordeaux, or for something completely different, Bordeaux.

Why take a chance?

You drink plenty of Saxum, Jay. I don’t know if there’s enough of a track record to put down some magnums - you’ve had many more than most. Maybe the winery has a 3L for just such a special occasion. Ridge Geyserville in large format?

I have a son also who is born 2014. My quest of getting some really nice bottles to drink on special occasion is almost finished. The goal is to the get the whole range: sparkling, red, white, sweet and fortified.

My collection of whites includes a case of JJ Prüm from few different vineyards, a bottle of Egon Müller’s Kabinett and a bottle Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Ruchottes, Pierre Gonon Saint Joseph Blanc Les Oliviers (few normal size bottles and one magnum) and a case of Cantina Terlan Pinot Bianco Riserva Vorberg.

On the reds I have only managed to stock up some Northern Rhone gems like Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard (normal size and a magnum), Clusel-Roch Côte-Rôtie La Viallière (magnum), Marc Sorrel Hermitage Le Gréal and Pierre Gonon Saint Joseph Rouge (normal size bottles and one magnum).

Also there are few bottles of Quinta do Noval Porto Vintage.

All these wines should have great ageing potential. I haven’t had the chance to taste old Vorbergs but I’m counting on their reputation of ageing gracefully. Same goes for JJ Prüm. I’m really looking for also to get some Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonias (both red and white) and some noble-rot wines like Tokaji Aszú but either of these haven’t hit the markets yet. Maybe few bottles of Bordeaux will end up in this collection too. Champagnes are a bit difficult to say yet because it wasn’t that good vintage. Would have been lovely to get a bottle of Dom Perignon but they won’t be making it. So have to keep my eyes and ears open if something nice should show up.

Anyways I think we will be having some pretty nice birthday dinner over the years

Jay, do not go with the cab franc…if the kid
has your genes then u will be selling all of it
to Robert in 18yrs.

While Prum wines generally age effortlessly, I am not sure 2014 is the vintage to test that out. It is a relatively poor vintage, esp. in comparison with 2013 and 2015. On the other hand, 2014 is a great vintage for white burgundies.

Jay and I will be practicing law up in the big sky in 18 years. I put you in my will for the Chinons. Nobody else wants this crap! Lol.

+1 on mixed case… you don’t know what he will like (or you, for that matter, in 18+ years!). Red and white and sticky, and don’t forget bubbles! And Port.

My suggestion would be for a mix of at least a two or three regions / styles in each of red / white. rather than just, say, Bordeaux.

Don’t forget Riesling (Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkapsel say).

Decide if the wines are for a couple of grand coming of age parties, or to prime a cellar i.e. Are you seeking wines with 18-21 year window or with an additional ten or more years.

18 years from now you both will be alive and well drinking wine and posting notes full time. In other words, not that different from today. [cheers.gif]

Lol, Jay will be like 106, no longer able to heft Double Maggies on street corners, using sippy cups instead.

Funny. I saw this thread. Thought I should check it to see what I should buy for my grandson, discovered that I started it. :slight_smile:

Be sure to attach instructions to your children.
What about wines for the bar/bat mitvah?