What wine should I buy to age for a 2014 baby?

Domaine de la Romanée-Conti 2014 Montrachet Grand Cru
Chassagne Montrachet, Burgundy
White wine from France
Drinking window: 2027 - 2044

Bright yellow-straw. Knockout soil-driven aromas and flavors of crushed rock, menthol, mint, ginger, white flowers, hazelnut and iodiney minerality, with a hint of fresh pear emerging with time in the glass: it would be easier to list what I didn’t find in this wine! As tactile as a solid but with extraordinary mineral energy–and a bit of unabsorbed CO2–giving the middle palate astounding lift and a light touch. In a very pure, airy style but with great richness and some very ripe suggestions of marzipan and candied stone fruits. Finishes with outstanding gingery thrust and rising length, and the tannic structure of a red wine. A legend in the making.
Stephen Tanzer. Tasting date: December 2016
&
Domaine de la Romanée-Conti 2014 Romanée-Conti Grand Cru
Vosne Romanée, Burgundy
Red wine from France
Drinking window: 2030 - 2048

Deep, dark red. Darker on the nose than La Tâche, exuding aromas of boysenberry, black raspberry, violet, brown spices and smoky minerality. Like liquid velvet on the palate but with its purple and black fruit flavors energized by pungent, sappy minerality. The rising, utterly bracing finish shows great breadth and extraordinary noble tannins. This knockout is wonderfully full and thick yet somehow weightless owing to its outstanding mineral energy. An amazing showing today, but this supremely elegant wine is just at the beginning of a 30±year life in bottle. Bertrand de Villaine noted that Romanée-Conti is typically a wine of aromas while La Tâche is more about the mouth, but not today.

Stephen Tanzer. Tasting date: December 2016

COVER ALL BASES!

Mags of Morgon, Moulin-a-Vent and Brouilly Cuvee Ambassades.

Jay, there’s always hope for the next generation. Keep faith alive. [cheers.gif]

One can hope, eh?

To mix a bit, throw a Montelena and a Ridge MB into this. Or maybe three of each of these, and three each of Ducru and Montrose. The no risk case. But Vieux Chateau Certan supposedly made an excellent 2014.

Then, the best 2014 (and the most expensive) I have tasted is Hudelot-Noellat Romanee St. Vivant.

If what you buy is going to determine his future, then I recommend Petrus and DRC. Why take chances.

Ridge Montebello.

For my 2014-born daughter, I’ve picked up lots of Bordeaux en primeur and release prices are stable given the 2015 and 2016 hype. Red burg is lean and elegant and may also be a good deal once the 2015’s really hit the market.

It was an excellent year in most of California, and I have a number of Cabs coming and Ridge Monte Bello.

I would like to give her something with a good chance of not being toast, so no 2014 Chablis. Bought a case or two but doubt I’ll purposefully hold it that long.

Have heard very little about 2014 in Rioja or Italy…

I like the idea of Champagne. Otherwise, why not a Bedrock Oakville or a Once & Future red? For a domestic Pinot Noir that can go the distance, I would humbly suggest the Windward.

I would buy wines in styles I think are disappearing (perhaps Lopez de Heredia, as modern Riojas have all but eliminated traditional ones), perhaps Bordeaux Chateaus that are the last bastion of old style wines

[scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]

Jay - you already know what to buy.

It’s 2007 CdP. In mags, as mentioned.

And I hope your grandkids like sushi because as you know, that’s the perfect match. Or Port.

And BTW, congrats at being a grandpa. I remember your son picking me up at the train station. Best to all.

Roumier’s full line up should represent Burgundy pretty well, though understandable if you pass on the Musigny :wink:

I agree on 2014 Burgundy - any of the better premier crus or grand crus can last. If you can find magnums then even better. I think 2014 Bordeaux has some relative value but haven’t tasted broadly enough to offer any advice beyond the usual suspects I’d buy without needing to taste.

How about some petite sirah?

Having just tasted a boatload of 2014s at the Grand Tasting at the Paulee in NY, my favorite producers there were Mugneret-Gibourg, Hudelot-Noellat, Liger-Belair, Drouhin, Domaine du Lambrays and d’Angerville.

Another vote for red Burgundy as long as you buy somewhat selectively. There are a lot of nice wines in this vintage that will age well, and they should be relatively easy to find.

I always find it funny that people inevitably suggest white Burgundy in these threads. That’s a great idea if you want the kid to learn about premox and what it’s like to pour expensive, aged wine down the drain.

Congratulations on the arrival of your grandchild, Jay! I agree with those who have suggested Ridge Monte Bello and 2014 Bordeaux. The Bordeaux that I have tried and would recommend include Pichon Baron, Haut Bailly, Grand Puy Lacoste and Leoville Barton.

champagne.gif

Thanks,
Ed

See, this is what I love about wine people: even if Armageddon is around the corner, they always think positively! [cheers.gif]

Go with something that you don’t love. You might not like it, but they might, and when they introduce it to you at your advanced age, it will be revelatory.

Have heard the 2014 Ridge may be an earlier drinker for that wine, potentially peaking at 10-15 years as opposed to 20+. May want to grab some mags.

The purpose of birthyear wine for me is for the journey and if any is left for the child so be it. I paid for my son’s first semester of law school with the sale of 1989 bordeaux at his request. Many family events have had 1989/1991 wines served, and like children, they change over time and sometimes close down and sometimes shine. It is about the journey and less so the wine. Get some wine you like to taste along the way—Mike

Yeah, I found that strange as well. Maybe if you want a wine to open to celebrate the 5th birthday or something.