What vintages do you think that you totally botched?

I drank all my 2003 & 2004 California Pinots by 2008 or so because they were so ripe and luscious that I was certain that they would only end up as a hot pruney mess, but I was wrong… Well stored they are still are lovely…

Also it is amazing how the 2006 Cali Pinots (and to a lesser extant the 2008’s) have completely (IMHO) fallen apart…

This is my absolute favorite california cab vintage. Every bottle I’ve had from 94 has been stunning.

I haven’t been buying long enough to have made obvious mistakes in vintages, since they haven’t had a chance to age yet. It would have been nice to buy earlier when things were cheaper or to be able to buy more than a case or so of regions/vintages that I was weak in (2010 Burgundy, some Barolo, any Champagne, etc), but there is too little money and too much wine.

I’m glad you found these wines to your liking. To me, they never lived up to 1990, 1991, 1992, and I’ll add 1996 to that.

Didn’t buy enough 1996 champagne. I was just getting into champagne at the time and took baby steps instead of big strides…

Cheers,

Hal

Didn’t buy enough 96 Champagne, 96 Piedmont. Bought way too much 04 Red Burg. Not enough 00, 01, 02, 05, 08, 10 red burgs. Think there is a lot of value in 08s.

Should probably be buying more 04 Champagne.

Bought some 86 Bordeaux, but none have charmed me yet (except maybe the Lynch Bages).

Should have bought more 08 and 10 Oregon PN.

cheers

I should have gone much deeper on the Bordeaux '29’s , but money was tight then ! [wow.gif]

Wish I’d been interested in Barolo in the 80s and early 90s so I had more than a handful of pre-96s.

I still have hopes for 96 Burgundies but I wish I’d bet a little less money on them and more on 99, 01 and 02.

Wish I’d bought fewer 99 German rieslings and more in the early and mid-90s.