What vintages do you think that you totally botched?

I have to second the 03 CDP’s have not had one that was not a hot mess.

98 CdP. Bought too many based on Parker’s glowing remarks and now I dislike all but a couple. Good for pizza on week nights though.

'86 Bordeaux - in fact, at this point, I actually own more '86 than '90, because I keep holding them waiting for them to come around, whereas '90 has been deelish almost from the get-go.

bought too much 96 white Burgs, didn’t know about premox.

Not enough 93 white Burgs, not enough 91 or 00 red Burgs.

Ditto but mostly 91.

[winner.gif]

1999, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2009 burgundy.

didn’t buy enough

'91 and '93 burgundy. Bought from only 2 producers and did not help that I eventually sold one (DRC) of the them, only left with Rousseau’s wines.

I confess that I totally misjudged '82 Bordeaux in the opposite direction of '75. I had been indoctrinated to think that Cab based wine had to be tight, hard, and closed to have aging capability. I thought '82 would be an early drinking vintage and bought accordingly.
That pales compared to the sin of not stocking my cellar with mainly Burgundy and Barolo, but that is not a vintage issue.

P Hickner

1988 Bordeaux. Beautiful Bordeaux vintage that initially did not give much pleasure but it is now singing. Would happily trade a lot of my 1989’s for 1988’s today.

Didn’t buy enough burgundy early on, period.

Should have purchased more 1996 left bank Bordeaux.

Like many on this thread bought too much 2003 southern Rhone.

1997 Mosel. I thought it was too acid-deficient and avoided it, but the few I’ve had have been drinking really well. On the other hand, I bought more 1998 Mosel because of high acid levels, and those are drionking well too. Moral for me is that I’m not as clever as I thought, and for the most part it’s about producers rather than vintages.

1986 Bordeaux. Got tired of waiting, like Anton. But I still wish I held a couple just to see.
1988 Bordeaux. Bought too few. Very pretty wines.
1994 California Cabernet. These just never did it for me.
1996 California Cabernet. These pleasantly surprised, and I didn’t buy enough.

I’m not sure anyone mentioned 2004 in the Southern Rhone, which for my tastes was hugely underrated.

Also 93 and 98 on Barolo, which weren’t considered serious vintages but yielded some lovely wines that were drinkable without a lifetime of aging.

2007 Red burgs and CNDP.

Bought about 40 cases as it was my daughters birth year, turns out most of them really aren’t very good, despite the initial high rankings…

Really? I really like 2007 red burgs. Caveat that I havnt had many over the last year.

Mostly bought GC’s, and I think they are mostly terrible…been selling some, but the resale price is probably as low or lower than any vintage except '04…

x2 for me.

I actually like 07’ red burgs, did not buy any during EP but picked up 5 cases of 1er Crus over the last one year.

2004 CDP- love the vintage, and for about 2-3 years, the best wines were dirt cheap.