What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

I had an '11 T ‘n’ S about 6 months ago. Here’s what I wrote:
Smoke, tar, pepper, meat, dark fruits, kirsch. Surprisingly smooth from pop and pour.

Dusty - If you have a couple bottles of each, don’t worry about opening one to try now. Since you’ve never had them, you will get an idea of the style even if the wines aren’t in their ideal drinking window. I would open one and decant and follow over the course of an evening, as it will most likely open up a bit and change with some air. And please let us know!

My memory is liking previous vintages closer to cellar temp than fridge temp.

Had this last night and thought it was really nice. Quite ripe and lots of fruit. Structure mostly provided by balanced acidity, but with underlying, fruit-shrouded tannins. Agree this could age fine, but personally, seemed of a style that’s better for drinking now.

I wouldn’t touch the Griffin’s, although the 2012 had some Viognier and was supposed to be more approachable, it wasn’t all that approachable when I last tasted it, probably a year ago. The T’n’S should be more approachable. A North Coast would be the best choice.

2009 Bedrock Kick Ranch Syrah. This is the first of the 2 bottles I bought. I don’t have enough experience with syrah to tell if this is fading or needs more time. Popped and poured about 15 minutes ago. The bottle indicates no stems, 37% new oak for 16 months and 5% Viognier. Quite dry for a CA syrah - I would have guessed Rhone with some age on it (not a big Rhone drinker). Enjoyable but somewhat limited. Dried out black fruits, a little cocoa with a bit of heat. It really screams out for some meat but I’m not hungry (still full from a St. P Day corned beef burger). I’d say drink 'em if you got 'em.

2011 Saitone. Classic Zin. Big and juicy. Good to go with a 30 minute decant.

2013 Bedrock Heritage. Great, great juice, even though I personally loved the 2012 even more.

1 Like

Coravin some 2011 Syrah Exposition Two Weill Vineyard

Barely had time to rest, did it? haha

Nope haha

I’m drinking some delicious concoction called Bunnahabhain. I don’t see “Bedrock” anywhere on the label… neener

Definitely benefits from a good amount of air. Tight and not showing much at first.

Dont worry, even thou I coravinned it has been ‘decanting’ in the glass for a few hours

We drank a bottle of 2013 Sauvignon Blanc last night. Morgan really nailed this one and I am glad I started laying them down for a year. No detailed notes, but this is one of my favorite white wines of all time. It has rich tropical flavors but remains bright and juicy - love the nose too!

2012 Pagani. MTP recently warned us off of drinking these if I recall correctly but I had such fond memories of Pobega-ing one of these last year that I just couldn’t help myself. It was terrific. Needed aggressive swirling to wake it up, but then serious dark black fruit under layers of dense spice and an unmistakeable Syrah-like slather of rich bacon fat. No doubt this will be incredible in 5-10 years but I am not sorry in the least and looking forward to a second dip into this bottle tonight.

If MTP said not to open a '12 that goes doubly for the '13.

That’s very interesting for a zin based blend - I may need to try one of these soon. Thanks for the note.

Raj

2012 Pagani, night 2. Now just a hint of the bacon on the nose and some black licorice. More primary flavor, a redder classic OV zin, and closer to the first bottle of this I had on the day it arrived from the winery. Dusty tannins on the tart finish. Still a thumbs up on this one.

1 Like

2011 Compagni Portis tonight.