Wednesday March 23 - New York City - 2001 Cali Cabs - on the BIG side - OP Updated

No need for me to open both of mine - just wanted to make sure we were covered if the Clos Saron had VA (which it often does).

I have the 2001 Pahlmeyer and a 2000 Charles Heidsieck Brut Millesime peacefully sitting in my office.

I wish you all good tasting! I have other commitments through 9pm, so have a toast for me (and report back on 2001 Spottswood so I’d have a data point)

Well, you said BIG reds. I worked it out with Dennis and am bringing a Dunn Howell Mountain on his behalf.

You decanted it last Tuesday, right?

Heading over now, be there by around 6:25 if anyone wants to pre drink :slight_smile:

I’m about 10 min. away. Feel free to start before I get there.

Got a couple bottles of this and was going to bring one to this event, till I got re-routed or Phoenix, AZ this week.

Well, it was in the decanter and someone accidentally smashed the decanter. Attempts to strain the broken glass are under way.

Strained successfully and tasted but even with lengthy decant no rush to drink. Was a very solid wine and would recommend with food and plenty of air (sans broken glass of course).

image.jpeg
Yup, this about sums it up…

Awful food.

Great company and spectacular wine. [cheers.gif]

I know steakhouses are expensive, but $180 per person?

Food, tax, tip, 16 bottle byo at a steakhouse, yeah, $180 all in sounds about right if not lower than I would have expected.

Re the food, I was quite happy with the quality but perhaps I am biased. Curious to hear others thoughts.

~$140 before tax and tip. Seemed about right to me, but I always get sticker shock when I look at a check with gratuity included.

I was merely whelmed by the steaks, but really liked everything else (which was not what I expected!)

I thought the NY Strip had very good flavor and was cooked the way I like it-rare. I can see that being a problem if you prefer it cooked more, and I know a group sent their steak back for additional cooking. Those of us who were not planning to eat the potatoes had a hard time keeping our fingers out of the French Fries. I was not disappointed with the food.

Dan, can you be more specific about why you thought the food was awful?

Agreed. The sweet potato fries were delicious. So was the citrus salad and duck confit.

Steaks served on the other side of the table looked cooked when placed before us, but they were close to raw inside. When we asked to have them done up a bit, they came back rare. Very rare. It was the first time in my life that so much steak was uneaten/leftover at dinner.

Sorry I didn’t get to take some of the leftovers. I know Dan sent the steaks back for more fire and they came back rarer. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought all the meat was great and cooked to my liking. For a NYC steakhouse, with that much BYO wine, I thought the price was high but reasonable.