Vegetable and Fruit Gardens - 2014 Edition.

Mesclun mix is doing well so far…

Try driving South! [rofl.gif]

Lots o tomatoes on the vines early this year. I tried a couple of early varieties. First cherry tomato is starting to turn color. Will try to post some pics soon.

Also first poblano is coming along. :slight_smile:

Is your pepper in a pot or the ground? Tried transplanting peppers to my garden from a pot, and something went awry.

My wife just sent me an excited text to let me know that she spotted our very first Padron pepper of the season! With luck we may be snacking on our first crop of Padrons in a week or two.

After fighting back the gophers and quail I thought I had it made. Then Bambi paid be a visit.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I love gardening!

I am late to the fun this year. Busy schedule and two heat waves caused a delay. Put in a few tomato plants and two peppers last Sunday. We will go to the farmers market tomorrow and get a few more plants. Tomatoes are Cherokee Purple and Brandywine. The peppers are jalapeño and Cobra. Last year some critter ate all of the leaves of our pepper plants, so this year I am spreading them out in different areas and will try some in large clay pots.

There was a bonus in one of the tomato containers in the form of a volunteer melon plant! I have no idea what kind but hopefully we will find out.

Sorry about the visit from Bambi, Brian. Bummer!
image.jpg

yah! 5 little green things are growing on my cherokee purple! If they develop fully it’ll pay for the cost of materials in itself! lol

Tomatoes are coming along! Jalapenos too, but nothing to take a picture of…just a lot of flowers.
IMG_20140603_183427_325.jpg
IMG_20140601_184122_470.jpg

Looking good, Scott. We are all lucky to have anything growing with the strange weather patterns this year. I am about two months behind my normal summer garden. My sugar snap pea plant from the winter is yielding some shoots that are volunteers.
image.jpg

Just planted 7 tomato plants this year as we lost a bit of area by redoing our patio. They seem to be off to a good start as we have had a bit warmer weather this year and no real " June gloom." Our herbs stay year round except for tarragon which we always have to replant.

Hoping for the best !

Cheers!
Marshall

2 months behind, wow! That is some crazy weather Nancy.

i planted in the end of april and the seedlings are huge now for the tomato plants. The hot weather has made that thing shoot up like… a tomato plant

The advantage of living in a hot, dry climate is how fast the vegetable garden grows. Here are some pictures taken at the end of May.
tomato.jpg
corn.jpg
bell pepper.jpg

Looks great Kevin! Where are you located?

Yes, wow, and welcome, Kevin. Drip irrigation for the corn? We used to say about a good corn crop, “knee high by the 4th of July!” Of course, that was on Long Island.

Do tell what hot and dry place and how much time do you dedicate to the garden? Then we can talk wine!

Rookie gardener update: We got our planter boxes in and planted about 3 weeks ago. We planted 4 varieties of tomatoes, Serrano peppers, golden zucchini, Italian parsley, oregano, sage, basil, chives, strawberry spinach, two different lettuces, purple carrots and a melon. The bunnies ate the carrots and melon tops right away and last night got most of the lettuce. [swearing.gif] The rest is doing well though. I guess I need to put chicken wire around the beds and then replant.

We got birds so we have to use netting ::frowning:

Poppy, too bad you are not meat eaters and can’t get retribution. We have lots of critters. Wish I knew which ones eat the lower leaves of my blueberry bushes.

Nancy and Larry,

I’m in Arbuckle, which is about 50 miles north of Sacramento. As hot as it is there, there is actually a fair amount of wine grape acreage around. The most infamous is the 400+ acre Zinfandel vineyard that Trinchero makes their white zin with. I probably spend a day a week during March through mid-May because of tilling the ground, marking the rows, etc. I do have to admit the tomatoes are a product of some tweaking to get them ripening this early. I use black Hefty trash bags as a plastic mulch over the bed and then place fencing wire over the planted bed so it forms a hoop structure. Then clear plastic is stretched and secured over the wire so it forms a mini greenhouse. You have to cut vents in the sides though because this really makes it get hot under the hoop/tunnel. I use the drip for the sweet corn since my wife handles most of the watering during the week when I’m at work and it’s much easier to manage this way.

Kevin