Union Square Cafe

nice read! Thanks for posting Victor.

I took my wife, some of her family members, a fellow wine-geek banker, and my longest and best friend for dinner there on Saturday night. The meal, service, and ambiance were very good.

My wife and I had a Saturday lunch there a few months ago and it was easily as good as at 16th Street except I am not a fan of the addition of other seafood to the fried calamari. In our case it was scallops, which were fine, but that was the one dish they shouldn’t have messed with. The ricotta gnocchi were insanely delicate and tender. After further thought, they must be cooking them on the serving dish, because I can’t imagine trying to plate them otherwise. And the new version of the banana tart was just delicious, among the better desserts I have eaten.

Birthday dinner with my best friend, and best man at my wedding.
x.JPG

John Mariano 's very favorable review of the restaurant:Virtual Gourmet

Is that Frank?

Happy Birthday!

Thank you. The food was excellent. As you can see above, we all cleaned our plates.
(No, I was not on dish-washing duty, at least that night. [smileyvault-ban.gif] )

We were lucky to get a table, last Saturday night. After that three-star New York Times review, weekend dinner reservations have become quite scarce. Even the waiting list for prime-time tables is often now over-booked, sometimes closed! Soon, nobody will go there, because it is too crowded.
[snort.gif]

Who dat?

Ha! Seconds of Pleasure and Squeezing out Sparks were on my turntable constantly back in '80, 81, 82.

Two memories that capture the change in the city:

1. Walking across an utterly deserted SoHo (Broome Street, I think) from Varick one night circa 1984 headed toward the Grotta Azzurra Restaurant in Little Italy. It was scary – dark and not a soul on the street.

2. Emerging warily from the subway at Union Square at dusk in 1993 with a suitcase, looking around to check for junkies and other nasties and discovering that all the folks on the benches were yuppies – that the neighboorhood had flipped since the last time I’d stayed with my friend at 12th and Broadway maybe two years earlier.

Had dinner there last week. Wonderful as always. The ricotta gnocchi were an epiphany in every bite. Rest of the meal was great too. And the banana tart was as good a dessert as it was 20+ years ago when I first had one. (and the Rivers Marie pinot I toted along didn’t suck either)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-20/high-rents-in-union-square-west-could-create-a-food-desert

Difficulties.

In your training class? Who?