Under- and Overrated Cocktails

After reading the article and before reading the thread I was going to predict that The Negroni will be on the overrated list next time this is done. I love the Negroni cocktail, but it will be overrated as a result of people riffing on the original.

And, Todd, the traditional recipe is equal parts regardless of the size of those parts. Personally, I use 1.5 ounces gin, 1 ounce each of Campari and Carpano Antica, and a couple dashes of grapefruit bitters.

I think you are referencing a frozen daiquiri, which is not overrated or underrated, but rather gross. Traditional daiquiris come in a few forms, the original, the Hemingway (or Papa Doble), Floradita or the less interesting fruit versions like banana or strawberry. The original is a classic and simple drink. And, I would argue, underrated.

Ok, I’ll try to out geek you. I think technically a gin daquiri would have both gin and rum in it, so I would still argue the a proper gimlet has gin, lime juice (sometimes zest as well) and a simple syrup. My comment about Roses was tongue in cheek but fresh lime juice really does make a difference to me.

I’ve been toying with Negronis for a few years, quite a lot recently as some new vermouths arrived recently but always over ice.

I’m not sure why gin and tonic is on there, it’s not a cocktail (rather a mixed drink).

Haha, a combination of gin and rum makes my stomach turn a little for some reason. Maybe I should have said a ‘gin sour’ rather than a gin daiquiri.

Just to continue the geekiness, here’s an interesting post by David Wondrich, cocktail historian extraordinaire, on the historical debate surrounding the gimlet:

Nice! Good read.

You like Mezcal ANYTHING.

After the LA Opera performance last night, I had my regular bartender at Kendall’s make me a Negroni, and I saw he used Carpano Antico Formula Vermouth, plus Bombay Sapphire, Campari, twist of orange, over the rocks. I really enjoyed it - Jen hated it, and I can see why it is definitely a love/hate type of drink. Great stuff. Fortunately for me, Jen’s drinks sucked, and I had to keep taking them back, thus my Negroni was empty, and so my lovely wife wouldn’t drink alone (that would be rude), I had him make another. [cheers.gif]

There are no underrated cocktails, only poorly made ones.

This.

Yes, I love Mezcal. My standard Negroni is Carpano Antico, Campari and Death’s Door Gin.

Also, I usually use Sombra or Fidencio Mezcal for the drink and sub Aperol for Campari.

Ditto, except my gin is Solveig from Far North Spirits, a craft distillery in a tiny town in NW Minnesota.

And regarding Mezcal, I had a great cocktail at Cask and Larder in Winter Park, Florida. Mezcal, Aperol, grapefruit shrub, celery bitters, and lemon. The smokiness of the mezcal really made the drink work.

I’m increasingly convinced that fancy gin is wasted in almost anything other than a martini.

The Gimlet is my favorite cocktail but before I order it I always ask if they use Rose’s or fresh lime juice. If the answer is “fresh” I’ll order something else. If the answer is a snarky “fresh” I’ll order water.

Chocolatini?

I shuddered just typing that word.

OK, point made.

I guess I’m out-voted here, but to me that’s like asking what brand of margarita mix to use. I like the bright acidity of the fresh lime to go with the sugar syrup.

Agreed on the well made sour (Whisky or Pisco) being an underrated cocktail. Had an unbelievably good Pisco in Mendoza Argentina back in 2007. First time with a cocktail that included egg white in it. Made me a convert.

I love the texture an egg white adds.

Valid point, but with a good vodka and Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao I think I could survive…

http://www.tempusfugitspirits.com/liqueurs-cremes