Top Chef Masters

So tonight we have…

OFFAL TASTY
The chefs take their skills to the street. Rick Bayless (Frontera Grill), Cindy Pawlcyn (Mustards Grill), Wilo Benet (Pikayo) and Ludo Lefebvre (Ludo Bites) set out to make a treat for Los Angeles pedestrians, creating a quickfire dish based on a color (season two, “Top Chef”). One chef moves on to the Champions Round.

From the commercials it appears they’re making street tacos based around innards. I have to agree with one of the chefs when he says most of America wouldn’t consider eating it; I don’t think I would either.

The only chef I’m familiar with is Bayless due to his appearance on a previous TC season, so by default I’m pulling for him. We’ll see what happens when the challenges actually commence.

I was not surprised that Rick Bayless came out on top. As a master of Mexican cuisine, he caught a break pulling the color green in the QF and getting to do tacos in the EC. But in spite those advantages, he made it look too easy. As for the others, I felt a little sorry for Cindy Pawlcyn. I don’t think the show was very flattering to her and her skills. And as arrogant and defensive as he was, Ludo Lefebvre was hilarious to watch.

Oh, and Kelly Choi finally makes a comment about the food! Seems like the editors/producers are trying to include more of her input; she was pretty useless in the first two episodes.

I still think she’s an upgrade over Padma, who’s completely useless.

I really had no roting interest except for the fact that Ludo really got on my nerves, so I was glad that he didn’t win.

Ludo was totally entertaining.

I watched TCM for the first time a few days ago…fun show, and I will continue to watch.

That said, Kelly Choi is clearly anorexic. My thumb approximates the diameter of her upper arms. Watch her…she never actually eats the food. [oops.gif]

Anyone who misses Padma will LOVE the new Carl’s Jr. commercial. [worship.gif] Unbelievably “oral.” Makes the Paris Hilton car washing thing look tame.

Top Chef Masters needs Padma…she is a beautiful woman who actually loves food. Bravo needs to get her back.

Colin

BTW-Will there still be a regular “Top Chef” at some point, or is it replaced by “Top Chef Masters”?

I found it…guys, fasten your seatbelts!

Colin [wink.gif]

- YouTube" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, there is still plans for a regular TC; I think they’re actually taping now.

About the commercial…I have to agree, so much better than Paris. [winner.gif]

Daisy-

Good to hear that they will be doing the regular Top Chef. Do you know if they will bring Padma back for that, or is Kelly Choi Padma’s permanent replacement?

Colin

BTW-You and I are in complete agreement on the Paris vs. Padma issue. [worship.gif]

Good episode. Rick Moonen is a riot. Had he not screwed up the QF, which I think will go down in the TC annals as a true WTF moment, he would probably have made it to the finals. Michael Chiarello did not seem as strong in the catering challenge, but I think his dessert, which actually sounds wonderful, is what ultimately pushed him into the lead.

Speaking of the challenge, even though TC seemed overloaded with catering challenges, I think TCM provides some support to the idea that in order to be a Top Chef, one must be able to put out a consistent product to a large number of people. The fact that Moonen was able to single-handedly pull off 100 panna cottas shows not only skill but balls as well; all the judges seemed thoroughly impressed. IMO he more than redeemed himself with his ability to execute his dishes perfectly.

Moonen was a spaz last night, but he did come through and made a very strong showing for the catering round. Like he said, he won the crowd’s vote…so he is the people’s choice.

Moonen wouldn’t have even had to win the QF; he came from zero to lose by 2 1/2 stars. I was fucking impressed.

He is a total spaz but totally entertaining to watch.

Padma is back for the regular series; at least from what I can tell. This season is in Vegas. I remember hearing that at one point, but I was reminded last night when I saw the slot machine.

I just don’t understand why people find Paris attractive. Padma is truly enjoying her burger and makes me want to go buy one.

NOt sure what it means for Padma in the long run, but she just signed a development deal to do a 1/2 hour comedy. This type of deal can come together very quickly into a show or take a long time. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

Padma in a 1/2 hour comedy? Shoot me. [suicide.gif]

So Yoni, are you trying to say that you don’t like Padma?

Frankly, I was kind of annoyed by Waxman, whom I feel sort of sabotaged Cimarusti in the elimination challenge, but not before declaring first that professional chefs do not sabotage other chefs and instead compete in the spirit of camaraderie. Of course, a master chef should be able to work with just about any protein, but Cimarusti is known for his seafood; and if, in the words of Roy Yamaguchi, you want to set people up for success, as he did for Art Smith, and Smith did for Yamaguchi (who had the choice of not one but two proteins), and Cimarusti did for Waxman, then it is only right IMO that Waxman offer Cimarusti the ability to prepare a seafood dish. My guess is that Waxman’s uglier competitive side emerged when Cimarusti came out on top in the QF. So although I do not feel that Smith’s fried chicken (I mean, really?) should have come out on top, I am pleased that at least Waxman was denied the chance to move on to the Champions’ Round.

I have eaten at Providence a couple of times at the glassed in chef’s table. Cimarusti is a stellar chef, but there is no doubt that seafood is where he is just off the charts creative. (Although he does serve a Kobe-beef ‘sashimi’ with pickled plums that is mindblowing.) The land animal courses are always solid but also obviously not what he is passionate about. It’s too bad. I didn’t so much read it as Waxman sabotaging him but trying to push him out of his comfort zone.

BTW, it really did make me want to go and eat Waxman’s food which looked awesomely rustic and satisfying.

Watching a lot of these guys go at it has inspired me to add their restaurants to my intineraries if I end up in one of the cities. I’ve wanted to go to Rick Bayless’s place for a while.

Waxman’s place in NYC is Barbuto. Very casual restaurant that in the warm weather opened their glass garage type door for open air dining. The Roast chicken with salsa verde is $19.00 and delicious and corkage is $20-25.00

The six on the show tonight are throwing it down; the one tiny little thing I would have liked to see would be Moonen in the final round.

The Mis En Place showdown was impressive. No one ever really pulled ahead enough to leave the other team in the dust.

I still want Hubert to take the big win in the end. He’s been my favorite master since episode one of TC Season 1. But, my fig slut is probably pulling for Bayless.

His winning tongue taco is pretty tasty.

A.

mmmm…hamburgers…the perfect burger for me is a rare medium on a potato roll, warm pink center, enough grease for a solitary drip to run down your chin, but not so much the burger falls apart; shredded lettuce (just a little), grilled onions, and a little bit of bleu cheese. Instead of stuffing it inside though, I want it mixed into the patty…sooo good. Give or take a nice piece of bacon or two depending on my mood. No ketchup or other any other flavor covering condiments needed.

Bayless won my heart: Queso Fundido burger and THREE types of guacamole. I may be dating a fig slut, but I am a total guacamole whore.

On a side note, I don’t think it’s possible that Kelli Choi has ever eaten a hamburger.